High pitch sound problem

Friendly Fanatic

Re: High pitch sound problem

Hello Tony,

We all did that with no effect. As I said, I also contacted the hotline. They suggested to exchange the buds.
Come on, it’s getting more and more hilarious now.
Friendly Fanatic

Update: Ok, I got the replacement sleepbuds and it's about the same, if not worse.

I went into a really quite room, recorded the sounds (15kHz to ~23kHz) from the sleepbud front and back, then created a spectrogram (see screenshots below).  Sounds at those frequencies are highly directional, so I really had to be careful about mic placement.  Interestingly, the left and right sleepbuds had a different spectrogram.  I perceive more of the high pitch sound in the left sleepbud, regardless of which ear it is in.

I can hear up to about 19kHz-20kHz, so I'm pretty sure I'm hearing those sounds.  I particually hear the sharp changes in frequency.  Also, that frequency range in much higher than what the sleepbuds output as a noise masking sound.  It can be hard to hear the sounds, but what I can hear is a bit like having a really, really, really thin needle stuck through my brain (uhh, metaphorically speaking).

I hear less of the high pitch sounds if I really shove them into my ear canal, so I'm wondering if either doing so (a) cuts out sound coming from the rear of the sleepbud, and/or (b) changes the sound attenuation in my ear canal.

My "workaround" at the moment is to (a) try minimizing sleepbud microcontroller/RF activity by using them soley in phone free mode (I think that reduces frequency changes) and (b) trying to ignore the sound.

Screenshot_20190126-161651_cropped.pngRight sleepbud. Bottom is with ear orifice facing mic. Upper is battery side facing mic. Top is noise from initiating the screenshot. Background noise is "black" (no bands).Screenshot_20190126-161929_cropped.pngLeft sleepbud. Bottom is orifice facing mic. Upper is battery side facing mic. Wideband top and mid is me initiating the screenshot. Background noise is "black".

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

Interesting. I found issues with or without phone-free mode.

This is more reason for me not to contact support and waste time with a replacement.
Friendly Fanatic

Having the exact same issue. In the first night they were completely silent, but at the 2nd or 3rd night they started to have a really annoying background noise whenever I was playing a Bose sound. 

It is some faint, high pitched twitter, sounds a bit like a cricket but with a frequency of 5-10x per second. It is not loud, but it's definitely noticeable and focusing on it is enough to drive you insane.

I even exchanged my first pair with a new one but it's having the same issue, tho it twitters a little bit less than the first one. If it keeps doing it I guess I have to refund them. God **bleep** it Smiley Sad

This issue is also very unpredictable which makes it even more frustrating. Sometimes the sound is pretty silent, and other times it is so obnoxious that I would like to throw the buds against a wall.

PLEASE fix your Hard- and/or Software, Bose!

Vocal Volunteer

Yep! I thought they were okay. But then a really high-pitched noise made me take them out.

The Sleepbuds stopped me sleeping.

I was told NO REFUNDS.

If replacements don't work - the 'solution' is a replacement. Sigh.
Animated Arbiter

Have you thought about contacting trading standards?
I'm sure they'd be interested in the whole situation especially regarding a defective product without a refund option.
They may be able to exert some external pressure on Bose.......?
Vocal Volunteer

Yeah but didn't get round to actually looking at how to do this. Could be the next step.
Audible Advocate

I replaced my sleepbuds because of the problem, though the interference noise I got is pretty low volume, they sent me an second pair, I just got it yesterday.

The new pair is way worse, it is absolutly unusable. It would do a mid volume high frequency whine every couple seconds, gives you a big headache. I am on the hotline waitling 20 minutes + for a return and refund now. When they said they found a solution and are sending out new batch, they are lying through their teeth.

You should call it whining sleepbud that interrupts your sleep.

Vocal Volunteer

Oh dear. Did you buy them within 30 days? 'Lucky' you if so.

My problems developed after 30 days.

Bose won't help.

Audible Advocate

Yep. For whatever reason they didn't send me a return label so I had to pay the shipping. However I bought it with paypal so I can get the shipping cost refunded.