I bought a pair of Sleepbuds three days ago, and I cannot believe the audacity Bose has to put these things on the market and charge hundreds of dollars for them.
Every night, I've tried to get them to work. They will not connect to my phone. I've run through all the troubleshooting steps, multiple times, each day.
Is the theory that I'll be up so long just trying to get the stupid things to connect that I'll be too exhausted to stay awake or get up in the middle of the night??
They're getting returned tomorrow, and Sony is getting a good look for my next pair of noise cancelling headphones. What a huge disappointment from Bose.
Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sad to hear that you are having some connection issues with your Sleepbuds and would love to look into this further for you.
Can you please confirm which troubleshooting steps that you have attempted so far?
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Hector B - Community Support
I have done every troubleshooting step I could find (noting that Bose recommends different steps depending on whether I follow its troubleshooting recommendations in the app or on the web). I did the entire following list several times over the past four days, always with the sleepbuds and case fully charged, and always with the sleepbuds within a few inches of my phone:
- Turned bluetooth on my phone off and on
- Turned airplane mode on my phone on and off
- Confirmed the charging case firmware was up to date at btu.bose.com
- Force stopped the Bose Sleep app and started over
- Force stopped the app, cleared data and cache, and started over
- Uninstalled the app entirely and reinstalled it, and started over
- Uninstalled the app entirely, rebooted the phone, reinstalled the app, and started over
- Reset the charging case by inserting a paperclip into the hole in the back, and re-did all of the above steps
- Confirmed my phone (Pixel 2 XL) was running the most current version of Android, then re-did all of the above steps again
Frankly, there might be other steps that I tried but don't remember now, because I was repeatedly trying them late at night instead of, you know, peacefully going to sleep.
Sometimes, my phone could at least see that there were sleepbuds nearby, but timed out on connecting to them. Other times, the phone couldn't even see that there were sleepbuds nearby.
And based on all of the other reviews I've read, on the Bose website and elsewhere, it appears that even if I can ever get them connected and working, I run a high risk of running into more issues - whether it be with the battery, the connectivity, or something else - within a couple of months anyway. I was so excited to try these, and now that I have, I see absolutely no reason why Bose sells them at all, let alone for $200 or more, and I certainly see no reason why I should not be returning them when I can get back to a store later this week.
Furthermore, this has soured me so much on Bose that, despite my love of my QC20 headphones (even though I've had to replace them multiple times due to various issues) and my SoundSport Free headphones, I will, for the first time in about 4 or 5 years, be looking at other brands the next time I'm due to buy new noise cancelling or sport earbuds. Last month, I was certain I'd be the first in line when Bose releases its noise cancelling wireless earbuds next year, regardless of price. Now, I'm looking at the Sony version. This has been an incredibly lousy experience that I would expect from a cheap knockoff brand.
I take it from the complete lack of response that I've tried all the troubleshooting steps you have and that the sleepbuds are, in fact, not something Bose should be selling at any price, let alone hundreds of dollars.
Thanks for posting and updating me on the steps that you have attempted! I am sorry that none of these steps resolved this for you.
As the issue still persists, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.
I am sorry that the team wasn't able to assist you through the community.
Oct 22, 2019
How do you get the earbuds to connect after receiving the "Oops... We couldn't connect to your sleepbuds"? I went through the whole thing and nothing. You just go round in circles.
1. Should the sleepbuds be showing up as a bluetooth device in the bluetooth settings on an iPhone? Mine do not show up there.
2. Is there a way to reset the app so I can just start over? I've deleted the app, reinstalled it, reset the charging case, and it still thinks it's the same set of sleepbuds. I wanted to start over just like these were new, instead of fighting this issue.
3. It says to hit the gear button on the app in order to delete these and start over, but there is no gear button on the app. Having been a long-time supporter and user of Bose products, this one is clearly not ready for prime time.
If I can figure out how to connect these, I'll be asking for a refund, like thousands of other people.