Left/right synchronisation issue: further testing and results

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Left/right synchronisation issue: further testing and results

Hi, I've posted here about an issue with my sleepbuds playing audio out of sync between the left and right: the left always plays audio half a second before the right. Today I visited the Bose flagship store in London and the helpful staff were able to recreate the issue without doubt on multiple sleepbuds. We discovered that it seems like a software issue with certain phones. Our observations were:

• The store's sleepbuds worked well, with audio in sync. This was paired with the store's iPhone 6S.
  • My sleepbuds were out of sync when paired to my Pixel XL phone.
  • When the store's sleepbuds were then paired with my Pixel XL, they began exhibiting the sync issue.
  • When my sleepbuds were paired with the iPhone 6S, they seemed to work properly.
  • We tried the sleepbuds with a second Android phone — a Pixel 2 — and the problem was present.

So to conclude: both pairs of sleepbuds worked well with the iPhone 6S, but with a Pixel XL and a Pixel 2 they exhibited the out-of-sync issue.

Since getting home I have tested with some more devices:

• An iPhone 8 worked very well, I was not able to recreate the issue after a few minutes. Perhaps if I'd tested for longer I would have heard it.
  • An iPhone 6 worked quite well, but I was able to recreate the problem about 50% of the time. Interestingly: sometimes toggling from one sound to a different one stops the issue and re-syncs the audio.
  • An iPad (4th generation) worked quite well. I was able to recreate the issue, but not very frequently (the iPhone 6 was worse). Same observation as above regarding changing from one sound to another.
  • My Pixel XL's sync issue happens 100% of the time and is always left then right, every time without fail.
  • The Apple devices that were able to produce the issue were not always left then right, sometimes they were right then left.

This issue is easiest to notice on the Shower sound when the bird/frog chirps. That chirp should be a single noise, but when the issue is present you will hear it twice — like an echo — in one ear and then the other. It is also easy to notice when previewing alarm sounds such as Short Ding.

Can this issue be reported to engineers at Bose and looked in to? Thanks!

21 REPLIES

Re: Left/right synchronisation issue: further testing and results

Hi jamespaulley,

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. I will certainly hand this information over to our development team. I will keep you informed if I hear anything back. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Audible Advocate

I have the same issue with a Pixel 2 (and an old Moto X - 2014) always Left then Right.

Easiest for me to detect using Rustle, though very easy to notice when changing sounds as the change is always Left first; switching Warm Static to Downstream provides the most noticable difference.

Friendly Fanatic

It seems likely that it's an Android issue then? But also an inconsistent but frequent issue on iOS, so a big problem for Bose.

Yes, it's very noticeable when switching sounds as you say. Bose staff told me that the sound starting in one ear first is normal and that the audio WILL sync up, but I don't believe that to be true. In my experience, if the audio plays in one ear first the sound WILL be out of sync.
Friendly Fanatic

Are Bose able to comment on this issue?

Hey @jamespaulley,

Thanks very much for following up. We can confirm this has been sent up to the engineering team and they are aware that you've reported the issue. We will check into this and get back to you when further information is provided. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin

Friendly Fanatic

Thanks. I notice this issue when the alarms go off too. Again, it's always out of sync on the Google Pixel phone, and sometimes on iOS.

Quiet Contributor

(This topic seems to appear a couple of times but this by far looks most extensive and recent thread!)

After my first (very comfortable) night with my new earbuds I have the same problem when paired to my Samsung S7. I haven't tried to debug yet (did anyone find something that works?), but in my sleepy haze I found cascade didn't have any symptom/trigger in it that kept me awake!
Audible Advocate

I have found nothing that resolved the issue with Android devices, I was hoping this weeks firmware updated would make a difference but no change for me

Friendly Fanatic

I've had no luck on the Pixel XL, still out of sync. Weirdly, when I was transferring a sound from the new Library, I pressed play on an existing sound and it actually played in sync. This only happened once though, definitely not a fix.