c3ll4r_d00r
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Re: Left sleepbud chirping driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!

I rang them they cannot help what now
fractalbrain
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 22, 2019

Update: 

tl;dr: I've been having good luck with the following procedure - Enable phone free mode --> put in case (don't know if that's necessary, but seems like a good idea) --> remove from case one at a time (reduce the risk of phantom sounds due to the sounds being almost, but not quite, in sync...at least in my head) --> wait 15-30 minutes-ish for bluetooth connection to drop (I think) --> stick them in ears.   NOTE:  If I put them in my ears while they are clicking, my brain seems to want to invent the sounds even if they stop.  It's like my brain is asking "wait, is the sound still there?  Maybe?  Maybe that's the sound?  Probably...I'll just go ahead and make a sound."

I've noticed that either my left ear is more sensitive to high pitched soundes, or I perceive them more in my left ear.  Of note, I almost always use my left ear for phone calls.  I think the clicking sounds happen with the right sleepbuds, but I perceive it more in the left.

I think the really noticable clicking/hissing sounds are related to bluetooth.  Some background hiss seems to still be there if bluetooth is "off," but its steady and doesn't bother me.

If you remove the sleepbuds in phone-free mode, you have a period of time during which you can disable phone-free mode in the app.  The sleepbuds appear to be using bluetooth during that time.  The clicking and hissing noise is prominent.

However, if you wait, the sleepbuds stop checking with the phone via bluetooth.  After that time, the hissing and clicking seems to go away.  Also, after that time period, you need to insert them back into the case if you want to control the sleepbuds with the phone (i.e. to disable phone-free mode).  Unfortunately, I'm not really how long one needs to wait (you'd think, by this point, I would have timed it, but nope :-)).  I usually take them out of the case 15-30 minutes before I insert them into my ears.

Final note: I've been storing my sleepbuds with a bag of dessicant because it seems like a good idea.  I've got no idea if it actually helps, but I had the dessicant and it seems logical to keep it dry.  Yuk alert: I also notice that my ears produce way, way more oil (and presumably sweat) than my wifes.

@Tony_A  If the above is true, could a workaround potentially be the following?:  When in phone-free mode, then drop the bluetooth connection after a couple minutes of being removed from the case.  Maybe include a count-down timer and other help in the app?  Not perfect, I know.

This is definately a unique and difficult problem!  A sub-population of users that can hear the electronic switching noises + what the brain does and what we notice when we drift off to sleep + battery needing to last well beyond the night + be able to stay in the ear + be able to sleep on ones side.

Hi Fractalbrain, 

Thank you for posting and sharing the results to your testing with the community! I will pass this feedback onto the engineering team. 

Once again thanks for sharing to the community and if anyone else finds this method to fix any issues that they have please let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

pacocandano
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 25, 2017

Yeah, using them in phone free mode so the obnoxious sound goes away! that is the only thing I have done that works...

pacocandano
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 25, 2017

C'mon! we paid 250-300 usd (depending on the country), it is not the customer´s job find a solution! STEP UP AND DO SOMETHING AS YOU DID WITH THE QC35's, and do it  NOW!

pacocandano
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 25, 2017

Let's hope that with the new firmware ( 7.000) the chirping is once and for all solved! do you know something about this issue?

ccchiou
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 24, 2019

For me, this problem "Appeared" after I update the firmware to 7.0.0.0

Update: The chirping sounds goes away after 30 min. So .... Magic?

nerunerubozu
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 25, 2019

This issue happens to me twice in a row. On my third pair of sleepbuds, I would hear the chirping/clicking/high pitched noise on the right bud. On this pair, I would try to reset it and sometimes the sound would disappear for at least an hour, allowing me to fall asleep first before i got woken up by the high pitch noise seemingly mechanical sound. I've updated the case firmware to the latest version, updated the iOS app to the latest version, updated the buds firmware to the latest version, reset the case, re-installing the iOS app, forgetting the sleepbuds and readding them back to the iOS app. I tried phone free mode, I still heard the chirping sound (although I didn't wait for longer to check if it will go away - I need to actually sleep!). Nothing I've tried seemed to work, so I replaced this pair. Then on this fourth pair of sleepbuds, the right bud has no problem but the left bud has even worse chirping than the right bud from the third pair. Note that I didn't experience this issue with my second pair of sleepbuds, too bad it had another problem of the right bud no longer able to be connected so I had to replace it.

I'm really hoping that Bose will soon fix this issue for all the customers whom have bought the product. I value the Bose brand and that's why I bought this product despite the price tag and I've been interested in it since the prototype was sold in indiegogo. I notice that there are beta users in indiegogo who complained about this issue. So this must be a known problem that should be identified and fixed, especially now that the production version is released to the market. This is not a cheap product considering its main aim is very specific, to help with sleep by listening to selected white noise from Bose, comfortable to wear during sleep and has enough battery to last the whole night; it doesn't play music or allow us to put our own white noise sound. With the chirping sound, it seems to do the opposite of the product's aim, keeping its users awake instead of sleeping. 

I'm already on my 4th pair in 6 months, and while I appreciate that I can ask for replacement as long as the warranty is still active, even replacing them doesn't guarantee that the next pair I receive will not have the issues. Also, I visited to the local Bose centre today to ask for unfortunately another replacement because of this issue, and the employee there is seemingly untrained as they don't know what to do and I had to leave the Bose centre frustrated and without getting a replacement. I will come back another day to ask for replacement again. If I may suggest, in addition to fixing the product issues, please train your employees properly so they are equipped to handle customers who are in need of help; it's not technical expertise on the product, it's a matter of procedure of getting a replacement. I visited the same centre to get a replacement 3 times before and it went smoothly, so it is just that the employee who served me today might be lacking training.

Highlighted
c3ll4r_d00r
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Agreed

Please can I have a refund
MikeMino
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

Same problem for me in 3 pairs of sleepbuds already. Pair nr1 problem in right bud, pair nr2 problem with the left one and finally, pair nr3 - problem in the right one. Freshly updated (although dunno for the case as the Bose updater has issues on Mac as it seems).

Any news?? 🙂

Mike