Lowest volume way too high

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer

Lowest volume way too high

Hi,

I bought the sleepbuds because I'm sound sensitive and sometimes need to mask noise to be able to get my sleep. The buds would be a huge relief in my life if they worked – but for me, everything fails on a ridiculously simple thing: The lowest volume available is too high.

It's absolutely ridiculous, it's not even close, there is no way for me to ever fall asleep on the lowest volume for almost every sound available. There is only one sound which is possible (I guess it would be called "Warm Noise" or something in the English-language version), but that too would be far more comfortable on a lower volume.

The lowest volume available would for most sounds definitely mask any unwanted noise, it's a complete overkill.

Is there any way for me to tweak this on my end so that I can lower the volume below the lowest step offered from the app?

It's tragic that the product seems to fail for me on such a banal design flaw. I can adjust the volume with the volume control buttons on my phone, but the volume slider in the app moves from that. One solution that would work would be to simply to make the two of them function independently, like they do for some other apps.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) on Android 8.0.0. Will also try with my old phone, but I'm not hopeful, since I bought the old Hush version of these sleepbuds and used them on the old phone with the same result. I would have thought that Bose would have resolved this elementary issue, and I will definitely have to return the sleepbuds if this can't be resolved.

Very thankful for any advice!

11 REPLIES
Animated Arbiter

Re: Lowest volume way too high

It's not a design issue. The lowest volume possible is not 'way too high' and I don't see how it would mask most sounds. If you
personally have a condition which means that you are sensitive to quiet sounds then you should search your app store for a volume minimising app.
Wistful Whisperer

Great that it's not a design issue for you, and thanks for the good advice on trying volume minimising apps! For me, the lowest volume offered inside the app would drown out most sounds that might occur at night by a mile.

Unfortunately, the volume minimising apps seem to work for any audio playback on the phone (including Bluetooth) except Bose Sleep. Can it be that Bose are using some special playback that needs some additional tweking to access?

I've spent the night trying to find a solution for this with no avail, trying with the apps App Volume Control, Precise Volume and Samsung's Sound Assistant.

Audible Advocate

This is almost certainly a defect.  I just tried on my Buds.  I turned the volume down all the way, and got... total silence.  I had to "crank it up" a couple of notches just to hear anything.

You may have to call Bose if you can't somehow jar that volume slider loose.  Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling, rebooted your phone etc?

Animated Arbiter

I think I understand, do you have issues with the volume of sounds on your phone when the volume is turned down? Videos, music, etc?
Wistful Whisperer

I've never noted any problems with audio playback from the phone on low volumes, but I guess the lowest volume from the music players on the phone would not be good for sleeping, especially when played in a speaker which is inside the ear canal. Not a problem though thanks to apps like App Volume Control, I just can't figure out why they won't have an effect on the Bose Sleep app.

Interesting that you had a completely different experience, dandrewk! It would take a gravely impaired hearing to be unable to hear what my sleepbuds are producing at the lowest volume, so I suppose that our devices are simply producing different output levels. That's somewhat hopeful, but this far I've been able to change every sound playback from the phone except Bose Sleep.

Audible Advocate

How are you trying to control the buds volume? Via the app or via the phone?

Wistful Whisperer

I can access the volume of the Bose Sleep app in 2 ways:

- Via the volume slider in the app (? 10 steps).

- Via the physical volume control buttons on the phone. Moves the in-app slider, so it's the same thing. (If I could get the two working independently, that would probably be a solution.)

I've been trying with 3 different external volume control apps and by changing the settings in the Galaxy OS, but I couldn't get these to have an effect on the Bose Sleep app volume.

Audible Advocate

Based purely on observation, The Sleepbuds do not use any volume control on your device. The volume control is only on the app. In as much as the audio files are actually downloaded to the buds, not streamed, the volume is also uniquely handleded. You can turn your phone volume up to the max or down to the minimum, it won't effect the buds. In fact you can play audio on your phone while runing the buds at the same time.

So, I think something is wrong with the software/firmware. As others have reported my lowest volume is in-audible (from the app) and my max volume is loud, but not too loud.

Quiet Contributor

I would agree with the others that have replied - there is a defect in either the app or the devices. I use the app on an iPad and the lowest point on the scale at which the "warm noise" is noticeable is about 20%. Anything lower is below the level of the ambient room noise and not useful. I would suggest taking it back or working with support.