New user review

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

New user review

I've become a light sleeper and my wife is not. As a result, I've tried using things like fans and air cleaners to mask the noise, but once I begin to "hear" the pattern of her breathing, I'm instantly awake and upset to boot.  The day after I saw sleep buds on line I ran down to the store and picked up a pair.

Overall, I would say my experience has been positive compared to what I was dealing with. It has taken some getting used to having something in my ears, as well as some trial and error involving the selection of the proper noise pattern and a volume setting, but I think I've got that down now. I must say I'm amazed how effective even one of these is at masking the noise (even at low volumes), and it gets better with both of them in. My only obstacle to being completely happy is wearability. My ears become sore after about 5 hours and I find myself taking them out, then having to reach for them again at some point to block out the noise next to me. Hence my putting in only one and burying my head in the pillow. I was happily surprised to find that putting an ear with a device in it against the pillow didn't bother me at all.

I should point out that in one of the noise samples (not a nature sound), I detected a pattern of a faint "tick" followed by another "tick" about 1 second later in a 5-6 second loop which woke me up straight away and forced me to change patterns because I couldn't stand listening to a loop.

My advice to anyone just starting out would be to keep the volume low at first until you find out what is comfortable overnight. Otherwise, the buds themselves can keep you from falling into rem sleep and you'll be even more tired and cranky waking up than you were before going to bed. Unless you're used to having things in your ears, be a bit patient.

One last thing to mention, (I saw another member ask about this in another post), is to go into your iPad and turn on the night shift settings so that during those first nights when you're making changes to your profile, you will be looking at a dim, warm colored display instead of something that blinds you when it comes on as well as waking up your partner.

9 REPLIES

Re: New user review

Hi Jim3

Thanks for the great detailed review!

If you have any questions definitely feel free to reach out to us, and hopefully a lot of users finds this helpful!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Friendly Fanatic

Hi 

about the comment  : ''I should point out that in one of the noise samples (not a nature sound), I detected a pattern of a faint "tick" followed by another "tick" about 1 second later in a 5-6 second loop which woke me up straight away and forced me to change patterns because I couldn't stand listening to a loop.''

I have already opened a detailed post here on this forum  : "Sound duration/composition for future versions , Nice-To-Have feature."

see if you can add your concern  to that post too , it will add volume and we could thrust it as a combined issue to BOSE, rather than individual tid-bits scattered here & there  .

United we stand  Smiley Wink

Quiet Contributor

Hi, what sound are you using? I have only just purchased a pair and used Swell last night. It was OK but I did wake up in the night several times. I kept thinking it was windy in the night but it was the Swell sound (so I'm not sure if that was actually waking me up or whether I was just aware of it every time I woke up). Also my window blind started flapping in the night and I was very aware of this so I thought I might try a different sound tonight. Thanks

Quiet Contributor

I use the "warm noise". The other, more interesting, noises tend to keep me awake because I find myself attempting to spot the beginning of the sound loop.

Animated Arbiter

Warm Static? Hopefully they will make more basic masking sounds.
Quiet Contributor

Thanks - the warm static has done the job so I'll stick to this one now.

@Jim3 wrote:

I use the "warm noise". The other, more interesting, noises tend to keep me awake because I find myself attempting to spot the beginning of the sound loop.

Silent Starter

I downloaded Boardwalk yesterday. It's the best sound I've found so far. I DID have to delight two sounds in order to add Boardwalk (got rid of Swell, which drove me nuts, and Tranquility, which looped too obviously for me).

Hey jeffrey398, 

Thank you for writing in and thanks for everyone else that has too. We appreciate the input on the sounds and this is nice for other members to see of the community that might be interested. Let's continue to keep the discussion on the topic to help others that may be searching for the same information. 

See you around!

Mohsin 

Quiet Contributor

I wanted to provide an update after having these for a few months.

Certainly the soreness was the most significant issue I experienced. During the first few nights I found myself waking up to take them out. However, I'm happy to say that my ears seem to have adjusted for the most part. I still have some occasional soreness, but it no longer wakes me up and is no longer a concern.

On a different topic, I would like to add that the alarm function is great to have, especially when you have to get up early and you don't want your alarm to wake your spouse. Well done.

Lastly, I have a pair of the noise-cancelling ear buds that I wear when on planes, and I find that they put me to sleep when flying. I've discovered that my sleep buds have a similar effect because the noise is more regular than the ambient noise within in my room.