deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Newbie to Sleepbuds

Hi,

Took a chance, and purchased the Bose Sleepbuds. What are the best sounds, and settings to block out impact noise (banging of floors, doors, cupboards and windows etc.), from an inconsiderate neighbour, who lives in the flat above me?
I previously used a set of foam laser lite, and wax earplugs together in each ear. These were successful at blocking airborne noise (sounds- shouting, TV, music etc.), but, unfortunately, not the impact noise.
I want to block the impact noise, which either wakes me out of my sleep, or keeps me awake throughout the whole night.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

Re: Newbie to Sleepbuds

The only real way to find out is to experiment as we'll all hear sounds slightly differently and the noises you describe will vary too.

I started by going through the available sounds, finding a few I liked and then tried them a night at a time to narrow down the selection. I then find that I swap between sounds over time. My favoured ones are anything with water, be it the rain ones or the stream one.

deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for that.
I have a loud neighbour living in the flat above me. I still haven't used my Sleepbuds. I'm so used to foam and wax earplugs, I'm a bit worried they won't work for me- very worried!
How do you use your sleepbuds? Is it because of unnecessary noise?
QC-Kiwi
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

I use mine to mask my tinnitus at night, but they also work to block some other noise too.

Don't be worried about trying them, just give them a go and I'm sure you'll find they work well for you. They aren't perfect but a lot, lot better than other options.

deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi,

Thanks again for that.
I gave the sleepbuds a test run the other day- yes daytime! I was expecting more passive noise isolation, as I could still hear my TV at low volume, even when I had the volume on the sleepbuds up near the top!
I've read that the noise masking effect can be subtle, in that it creates just the right frequencies to 'trick' your brain into ignoring the disturbing noise. In other words, you may still hear it, but the technology is such, that it ceases to register in your brain, thus rendering the noise impotent.
deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Yeah, I like water sounds too, especially rain types. Most people find the sound of water very relaxing; I must look up the psychology behind it.