HG
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Re: Phone-free Mode

Thanks I saw that - but my app is up to date: 1.7.1.  Is there another way to update my app if it says it is up to date?

Enrico80
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

Re: Phone-Free mode is a huge win

Hi Matt

Has support answered your question? I'm also concerned about RF emission from the earbuds themselves (not the phone).

Cheers

Enrico
MATT_007
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Hi Enrico,

No, they didn't get back to me. However I bought a pair & have since worked out, once you activate 'Phone free mode' the sleepbuds will activate their bluetooth for 10 min. After this, they switch off bluetooth & just continue to play the selected sound until you place them back in the charging base, or go flat. I have tested this & you can't connect to them after 10 min. 

Hope this helps, 

Matt.

Hi MATT_007,

Thanks for posting an update. We appreciate the information!

Regards,

Tony G

scottb@tpcorp.com.au
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

I have the exact same concern.

have you had an official response at this stage?

Thanks

Scott 

Highlighted
NickIs
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Unfortunately there has been no official response from Bose on this issue. This is disappointing as it's clearly a concern for many people judging from my own research into the matter and the feedback from others on this forum.

Perhaps Bose could definitively answer the question: Once the Sleep Buds are in Phone Free Mode do they emit any radiation from the Sleep Buds themselves?

Best,

Nick

Enrico80
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

I totally agree with Nick, though I guess the reason why there is no official statement is that the earbuds still emit radio waves while in phone free mode... 

Hello All,

Thank you for the posts.

The buds advertise over Bluetooth for the first 10 minutes after they are removed from the charge case. This is the same behavior they exhibit whether they are in phone-free mode or in normal mode. If a phone does not connect to the buds in this 10-minute window, the Bluetooth advertising stops until the next time they are removed from their case.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

MATT_007
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Thanks for the reply Joel. I don’t want to shoot the messenger here, but I’m starting to feel like Bose is intentionally misleading us regarding the following simple question.

When in phone free mode, after the initial 10 minute broadcast is done, do the Bluetooth radio transmitters in the sleep buds switch off & stay off until returned to their charging case? 

The answer is either yes or no.

NickIs
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

I agree, it's a yes or no answer that's required here.

Perhaps due to the precise technical nature of the question Bose Support could escalate this to someone in Engineering to settle this once and for all?

In the meantime anyone reading this who owns a 'EMF meter' (search at your favourite online store) could probably also run their own test.