NickIs
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Phone-Free mode is a huge win

I held off on my purchase of SleepBuds until Phone-Free mode was released, I really didn't like the idea of have a couple of bluetooth transceivers centimeters from my brain night after night; even if they are Class 3 low power. I know from this and other forums I am not alone in this reservation.

Initially in trying Phone-Free mode I observed that it was possible to disablePhone-Free mode from the app and came to the conclusion that the bluetooth was still activated and that the Sleepbuds were not for me! However, I now notice that the connection with the phone discontinues after about 10mins. 

Can Bose Support verify that bluetooth is in fact off at this stage?

I'm thoroughly impressed by all other aspects of the sleepbuds, what a great product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Phone-Free mode is a huge win

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager Jason_G

Hey Nickls,

Thanks for reaching writing in. Glad to hear that you're liking the Sleepbuds. For clarification, you wanted to know if the Bluetooth on your phone is still active with the Sleepbuds with Phone free mode enabled?

As you know, the Sleepbuds achieve ultra-low radiation exposure because it does not stream audio throughout the night. Also, Sleepbuds use a class-Ill Bluetooth radio, which has the lowest transmit power among all the Bluetooth classes.

But, in Phone free mode you do not need your phone close by, and it can be kept in a different room.

When you enable phone free mode, have selected the desired sound and volume, you can even turn off the Bluetooth on your phone. Next time you are about to go to bed, just simply slide open the case, remove the Sleepbuds, and the sound will begin to play immediately.

Please check back with me when you get the chance.

Thank you again and have a great rest of your day.

Mohsin - Bose Support

37 REPLIES 37

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager Jason_G

Hey Nickls,

Thanks for reaching writing in. Glad to hear that you're liking the Sleepbuds. For clarification, you wanted to know if the Bluetooth on your phone is still active with the Sleepbuds with Phone free mode enabled?

As you know, the Sleepbuds achieve ultra-low radiation exposure because it does not stream audio throughout the night. Also, Sleepbuds use a class-Ill Bluetooth radio, which has the lowest transmit power among all the Bluetooth classes.

But, in Phone free mode you do not need your phone close by, and it can be kept in a different room.

When you enable phone free mode, have selected the desired sound and volume, you can even turn off the Bluetooth on your phone. Next time you are about to go to bed, just simply slide open the case, remove the Sleepbuds, and the sound will begin to play immediately.

Please check back with me when you get the chance.

Thank you again and have a great rest of your day.

Mohsin - Bose Support

Windsurfer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

Re: Sleep buds offline music

So far so useful. How can I get the sounds onto the sleepbuds so I don’t have to have my iPad on? Thanks

Hello Windsurfer,

Thank you for posting and question.

The device you're running the Bose Sleep app on, you would transfer the sounds to your Sleepbuds, then enable "phone free mode." 

The Sleepbuds will then play the sound you transferred before enabling phone free mode.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support 

MATT_007
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2018

Hello Mohsin,

Thanks for answering our questions on here!

I have exactly the same concerns regarding low level, long period (8-10 hours every night) RF exposure as Nickls, but the question is not about the phone bluetooth.

Do the Sleepbuds switch off their transmitters once 'phone free mode' is enabled? Do they continue to transmit, even intermittently during the sleep period?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Windsurfer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

Hello

Thanks for reply. However, I’ve looked through the manual and switched on the buds with the sound but can’t figure out how to get sound on to sleep buds. Can you tell me where I find this.

thanks.

NickIs
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

The docs are in tn the app not the manual. In the app, click the menu icon -> Product Support, look for the items pertaining to Phone-Free Mode at the bottom of the list.

Windsurfer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

Hi 

I think I’ve been sold a duff. I did as you said and followed guidance. On clicking gear icon there was no info or whatever to say phone free. Either I was sold an old version in September or I’ve missed something. I did ask if I could use it internet free.

thanks any help greatly received

NickIs
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Make sure in the app menu that your version is listed as 1.7.0 or above, otherwise the feature won't be present.

Windsurfer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

Hello

thanks so much. I updated app and it worked.

Enjoy !