Please don't market these as "Noise-Masking", they do not.

Silent Starter

Please don't market these as "Noise-Masking", they do not.

Hello everyone, I was so excited to receive the Bose Noise Masking sleepbuds for Christmas. I have a terrible time sleeping because of how I can almost have a pin drop wake me up. I have two white noise machines that take on different pitches, and always blast them. I have a pair of Sennheisers (not noise-cancelling, like mid-range) that I also put on without any music. This crazy combo got me sleeping for my longest intervals without waking up, ever, only waking up every two hours over the night (yes, it's that bad, normally it's every 45 mins). I got the present and immediately had to go out to buy a modern iDevice, because, of course, you can't just use these without a proprietary app and Bluetooth. This really wasn't an issue, I was seriously so excited to try these I raced out and bought a used iPhone that just met the basic requirements. (I am not a Luddite by the way, I am 27, a programmer, and just don't prefer to be tracked by a phone's mic and webcam, so I just use the Snowden-style flip phone. I do have to be honest, I was almost insulted when I first tried them. I immediately cranked the volume slider all the way up as far as it could go. Right then, I knew these would not help my problem with ambient noise. I maxed the volume on each of the sounds included, walked the the other side of my bedroom, and had a full conversation with my Mom with my back turned to her. I could hear everything she said. Since she has a high-pitched voice, I figured maybe try the other end of the spectrum, and did the same thing with my brother's deep voice. Same results, unfortunately. Is it likely I received a set of defective units? I cannot believe how quiet these are, and how they can actually stop any snoring sounds (especially male) for anyone. I can hear less with my Sennheisers (with no audio playing through them, as previously mentioned), even without my white noise machines going. If this is not the case, and they were designed this way (I am guessing to keep Bose from fault of rupturing eardrums), could I suggest that maybe you don't market them as "Noise-Masking"? Because this is not true. I am sure the tranquil sounds help many many people fall asleep and stay asleep and that's seriously wonderful, but I was so excited about these because you specifically marketed them as "Noise-Masking" and not "happy rain sounds at night that don't really block too much out". I'd be happy to try any suggestions anyone has, just please spare me the basics, like re-pairing bluetooth and power-cycling. I program APIs for apps like Bose and I'd like to think I managed to try that stuff successfully. I don't want to give up right away if there is a hardware issue, but it doesn't seem to be, both buds produce even and synchronized volume in stereo. Thank you in advance for any help, Jesse
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

Re: Please don't market these as "Noise-Masking", they do not.

That sucks. Bugs aside they mask everything for me. When I first unboxed them I tried them out against some loud voice videos on YouTube with the volume and bass cranked up and they worked perfectly.
Silent Starter

Um, OK. Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. It doesn't prove anything of my account nor helps me out. I don't understand why people don't think it's silly to post "I don't have the problem" posts. It's great you don't have the problem. But I do. Otherwise I wouldn't be spending my time posting in a forum about expensive speakers. I know it's hard to believe, but I do have better things to be doing.. I guess I will just return these. There are a lot of recommendations on these Bose forums of people who sent their Bose kit back for cheaper gear that does a better job. I will search around for that. Thanks anyway. P.S. Also, seriously? You guys make me do a Google recaptcha every time to post a response? Don't you make enough money without Google paying you to make your users train their AI? I was OK with the headphone problem before this nonsense, but not now. Thankfully, a few friends and family members take my audio advice to heart, so I will be making sure at least a few people will no longer buy your products. I know, ~15 people of millions won't hurt them a bit, gotta admit, though, it sure as hell will make me feel great, and that's what counts. Jess
Vocal Volunteer

They do mask noise. Funny how only you seem to have an issue.

Audible Advocate

hi

When placing 1 of my buds against an SPL meter set weighted A/fast when using the  cascade masking sound... I measure a minimum of 65 db.

Most of the sounds are too quite for me, or have too much variation in the frequencies. I normally use my air purifier as a white noise genrator along with Quies earplugs,  but has little effect against percusive/impact noise from neighbours... hence bying the Bose buds.

There does need to be more sound options in the library.

hope my information helps with a fault diagnosis