Highlighted
marinho
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 24, 2019

Preventive measures to avoid Sleepbuds failing

Hi,

Although Bose Sleepbuds is a great product, unfortunately a large fraction of them fail within weeks or months. It's probably a software failure, not a hardware one, but once they fail, there's no going back: they need to get replaced. Some users get their units replaced 3-4 times during the guarantee period or ask for a refund. If it's a software-related failure, then some measures could help to prevent problems (reduce the chance) in the first place.

(a) leaving the Sleepbuds on "Freephone mode" reduces the communication buds-phone, makes the buds more autonomic and thus reducing chances for a protocol problem;

(b) being extra-careful when placing the buds on the case, so they are always charging as expected, in pairs;

(c) do not load other background songs, use the standard ones;

(d) generally, use as few features as possible (e.g. alarms).

Despite these measures, the product is still great and I would recommend it to other users. Maybe Bose engineers cannot admit the product isn't 100% reliable, but it'd certainly help users to know from them which are the things users could do today to reduce the chance of problems in the future.

Marinho.

6 REPLIES 6
alphalog
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Re: Preventive measures to avoid Sleepbuds failing

I think issue is mostly hardware, if not 100% hardware, rather than a software issue.  I've had 5 replacements (ie 6 devices) since June 2018.  They already released1 or more patches to "fix" the charging issue.  If it was 100% a software issue, I would hope that Bose would have fixed it by now.... because it's frustrating for me having to get a replacement every 1-4 months, but I think it's even more frustrating for Bose in having to send out so many replacements every month.

toriellen
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

I hope I don't jinx myself with this, but here goes:  I've been in the 58% charge boat for quite a while and have tried every single suggested 'fix' to get them to work.  For the past week, yes a full week, I've had luck with the following:  In the morning (around 6:00 AM), I place my buds back in the charging case, with the case UNPLUGGED.  I leave it like that all day, until around 7:00 PM.  Each time I check it, the buds say "100%", and the case has about 2 charge lights remaining.  I put the buds back in, plug in the case, and reset it (with the paper clip), assuming the 100% is not accurate.  By the time I go to bed at 10:00 PM, I unplug the charging case (it usually is fully charged by this time), and the buds still say 100% AND they last all night!   And then I repeat.  I can't believe this is working, but so far, so good.   So, I really only charge the case itself for 3 hours each night, and I leave it unplugged the rest of the time.

Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself 🙂

alphalog
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

That workaround may work as a short term solution but I think you're better off getting a replacement in my opinion.  It'll get pretty tedious having to watch it every day.

I've tried variations of that solution but eventually I noticed that the 100% was a false reading bc it quickly dropped to a low %.  Hope it works for you though.

toriellen
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Yeah - I'm holding off as long as possible for a replacement, until these fail completely.  It seems I'm mostly lucky with my pair, and I don't want to exchange it for a pair that is even worse (which is what it sounds like my fate would be, reading everyone else's comments on their replacements).  It is kind of tedious to do this each evening, but it's a part of my routine now, and it's a small price for me to pay to sleep in "silence" 🙂  Now, if my husband would just stop snoring..... 

alphalog
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Got it... But if your concern is that you don't want to be without your sleepbuds, then ask Bose to ship the replacement in advance.  After you get the replacement, then you ship your "bad" ones back.

Call during regular business hrs where you'll get, I believe, the friendly uk customer support.  If you call during odd hours, you'll probably get the, I believe, India support team who are not as generous with advance shipment - based on my past experiences.  ( I've had 6 devices, 5 replacements)

toriellen
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Very helpful tips, thank you!!