Highlighted
Lytton
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

Re: Right bud will not fully charge past 48%

Having much the same problem with LH bud. Worked perfectly for about 6 weeks but unused for 2 weeks because of some travel. Ever since LH bud behaves erratically. Sometimes charges to 22% and stops. Sometimes charges to 100% but discharges twice as fast as RH bud. Tried all the troubleshooting tips and updates. Problem still continues. Lack of serious support is disappointing given cost of these items. Help...
Guoda
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 1, 2019

Update on 'experiments':

- Discharged both buds so that they displayed 1% and turned off.

- Tried to charge using method described by Ralphlh in above post (resetting charger each half an hour). Took about 8 hours to see 100% in Android app for both buds (half an hour charges ~5%). The strange part: charger "blinking light" indicator was still blinking for left bud, event though the app displayed 100%. Left both buds in charger for 1 more hour 'just in case'. After that hour light for left bud still was blinking... 😞

- After 5 hours of use app displayed 31% for left bud and 67% for right bud

So at least in my case charging with resets does not help: app displays 100% for bud which is charging only to 48% 'normal way', but it is not 'real' 100% according to what happens during usage.

Looks like there are no more options left, just try to replace the item. Hope our local Bose support will exchange the item - it was bought using online shop from another country.

manekato
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 3, 2019

I’m just adding to this thread with interest.

I’ve had my sleepbuds since Nov 2018 and quickly have become reliant on them. However I now have exactly the same issue with the right bud only going to 48% and then cuts out. I have been online with Bose and after the usual troubleshooting they have suggested a replacement which I am reluctant to do as I agree with some of the posters here that I will probably have the same issue with the new ones.

I’ve just tried the steps in Ralphlh’s post so will see what happens, but the case update to v2.0.0 didn’t solve the issue with me.

The only thing I would add is that I am a ‘side sleeper’ and tend to sleep on my right side - coincidentally the bud that’s not charging.
Lytton
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

My problem with the LH bud remains after trying all troubleshooting tips, including updating firmware for charger. Not an easy exercise, I found. Got the two buds fully charged up at 6pm, both buds showing 100% through the app. Kept the buds out of the charger, and no sounds activated, as wanted to see how charges held. By bedtime at about 10.30pm the RH bud showed 100% but LH bud had dropped to 46%. Not in use over the period so please explain. Modest use over night and morning check showed RH bud at 46% and LH bud at 11%. Different rates of drawdown! I have to conclude that battery setup in LH bud is faulty! Any comments?

Ralphlh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Post no 2.
After I boosted the right bid to 100% for the first time "after the 48% error" by restarting the charging case by holding the clip down in bottom for at least 8 seconds. - it looks like I only cheated the right bid. The next morning I saw for the first time the right bud died out.

Billede 02-03-2019 07.46.08.png

It showed 100% teh night before but was really below 50%. The same morning during recharging, the right bud overthrew the left bid. For the first time! Maybe because the right bud has been discharged to 0% for the first time?

Billede 02-03-2019 13.06.12.pngBillede 03-03-2019 01.43.05.png

At bedtime, both buds were 100%!

And the next morning LB 59% RB 35%. Same evening at bedtime LB100% RB100% and next morning LB50% RB24%.

Billede 03-03-2019 07.58.44.pngBillede 03-03-2019 20.50.24.pngBillede 04-03-2019 06.52.03.png
Conclusion: You can juse the product. But reliability has disappeared. Reliability is a big part of the product as it is aimed at customers seeking help to improve their sleep quality and their perception of their daily lives.
NB: I have now restarted the charging case with a clip so many times that it is almost destroyed.

Brandon - What will my next step be?

Hi everyone!

We thank you for all your time and effort helping us figure out what the issue is with your Sleepbuds. All this information is very helpful I assure you. We are going to escalate the issue and use your information to pin point the fault within the Sleepbuds.

For now the next step would be to get to contact your local service centre and check what service options you have available to you. You can do that HERE. Select your country, then scroll down to 'Contact Us'. Let me know if you have any issues getting through to your local support.

We aren't sure if this is happening with every Sleepbud, so there is still more research to do. We all here at Bose appreciate your patience and tolerance with the issue. If there are any updates I will let you know. Again thank you. All your efforts aren't going wasted. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will be keeping an eye on the thread.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

Lytton
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

• Well that’s some limited recognition of the problem. There are so many similar comments on this and other threads. Clearly there is a widespread generic problem, with no easy fixes. Probably poor quality batteries or wiring problems, or a mixture of the two. When something likes this happens in the auto world there is usually a recall process. Will we see this come? Bose mgt seem to be taking this lightly to date but it is potentially very damaging. Bose needs to respond more comprehensively and do more than ‘researching the problem’. Some of the other threads state that there is an improved model being made available under replacement. Is that true? I have been offered a replacement item but will it be free of the problem? And at least 2 weeks for delivery. Not confidence building re Bose. I have other Bose products which have been fine but these sleepbuds have been the worst.
Guoda
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 1, 2019

So I'm just back from local service center (Lithuania). Never thought I'd ever say that - worst and most impolite support ever. I really regret I didn't have voice recorder, so now I don't have any proof how they are communicating with clients 😞 Hope the info below will help others living here:

- You have to bring item to service center yourself. They do not accept shipping, because clients do not pack items correctly.

- They do not accept items which are purchased in other countries, but are unable to tell this by email or phone! They require separate 'warranty' paper, item S/N on invoice, proof that money is paid (and maybe something else, no idea).

- They are not interested in any sceenshots you have / things you did trying to debug the issue.

What support thinks about my buds charger and my usage habits:

1. They've told me that 'reset' button on my charger is located somewhere 'too deep' and there's no 'click' feel. So I must have damaged it somehow and this might be the cause of 'not charging' issue. They've let me try what is 'correct click feeling' on another charger - yes, it is different. But I've used 'reset' on my charger only when 'charging only to 48%' issue appeared for the first time, and it felt the same way as it feels now. Maybe this could be yet another thing for Bose team to investigate? Now when I think about this after some time - I remember something like white 'button' was visible in their case, which is not available on mine. The space to insert some 'resetting tool' might be wider on their case also - they used wooden toothpick without any adjustments on their case, and had to cut it to make it thinner for resetting mine. Are there several versions of charging cases?

2. They've told that I cannot leave charger case connected to power source most of the time, as this can damage battery (and maybe it's already damaged). Really??? No overcharge protection in this item? If yes - why this is not listed in user manual?

(Actually, Owners Guide page 20 says "Keep the case connected to AC (mains) power when possible to make sure that your sleepbuds™ are always fully charged"...)

As my sleepbuds were bought using german e-shop, according to our local support I have to contact them / Bose support in Germany and ship item there for exchange. As I don't speek german well enough, guess this is impossible. I've always thought 'local support center' works "buy anywhere, we'll help you where you live" - looks this is different.

Well, we've bought several other Bose items from online shops (Germany and UK), none of them include S/N on invoices or other addidional warranty papers except which are provided in standard Bose packaging. Hope none of them will need warranty ever, as it appears we have no local support which would help us.

manekato
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 3, 2019

I’ve finally requested a service exchange on my sleepbuds. The right one just won’t last any longer than around 5-6 hours and last night woke me with static. One sleepbud working just doesn’t aid sleep. I’m still wary that the new set will have the same problems, or worse, have new problems as I’ve been reading around the internet. I’m hoping the hardware has been upgraded and I won’t just get a shoddy set from ‘the back of the warehouse’.
It’s amazing how quickly you rely on something to aid sleep - it’s a brilliant product just so flawed.
Fingers crossed when I receive the new set they will be OK. Just need to figure out how to sleep while I wait for them to arrive.
LoDabb
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

I would like to add my name to the list of people who cannot get one bud to charge past 43%. My left bud will appear charged (solid white light in case) but when I connect to my iphone, it shows as only 43%. I have updated the firmware, and I have restarted the case with a safety pin. neither of these seem to help. It is very frustrating because I appreciate the technology and depend on the alarm clock function. However, I worry that the alarm will not work because of the buds not charging or not keeping a charge.