Update on 'experiments':
- Discharged both buds so that they displayed 1% and turned off.
- Tried to charge using method described by Ralphlh in above post (resetting charger each half an hour). Took about 8 hours to see 100% in Android app for both buds (half an hour charges ~5%). The strange part: charger "blinking light" indicator was still blinking for left bud, event though the app displayed 100%. Left both buds in charger for 1 more hour 'just in case'. After that hour light for left bud still was blinking... 😞
- After 5 hours of use app displayed 31% for left bud and 67% for right bud
So at least in my case charging with resets does not help: app displays 100% for bud which is charging only to 48% 'normal way', but it is not 'real' 100% according to what happens during usage.
Looks like there are no more options left, just try to replace the item. Hope our local Bose support will exchange the item - it was bought using online shop from another country.
My problem with the LH bud remains after trying all troubleshooting tips, including updating firmware for charger. Not an easy exercise, I found. Got the two buds fully charged up at 6pm, both buds showing 100% through the app. Kept the buds out of the charger, and no sounds activated, as wanted to see how charges held. By bedtime at about 10.30pm the RH bud showed 100% but LH bud had dropped to 46%. Not in use over the period so please explain. Modest use over night and morning check showed RH bud at 46% and LH bud at 11%. Different rates of drawdown! I have to conclude that battery setup in LH bud is faulty! Any comments?
Jan 6, 2019
Post no 2.
After I boosted the right bid to 100% for the first time "after the 48% error" by restarting the charging case by holding the clip down in bottom for at least 8 seconds. - it looks like I only cheated the right bid. The next morning I saw for the first time the right bud died out.
It showed 100% teh night before but was really below 50%. The same morning during recharging, the right bud overthrew the left bid. For the first time! Maybe because the right bud has been discharged to 0% for the first time?
At bedtime, both buds were 100%!
And the next morning LB 59% RB 35%. Same evening at bedtime LB100% RB100% and next morning LB50% RB24%.
Conclusion: You can juse the product. But reliability has disappeared. Reliability is a big part of the product as it is aimed at customers seeking help to improve their sleep quality and their perception of their daily lives.
NB: I have now restarted the charging case with a clip so many times that it is almost destroyed.
Brandon - What will my next step be?
We thank you for all your time and effort helping us figure out what the issue is with your Sleepbuds. All this information is very helpful I assure you. We are going to escalate the issue and use your information to pin point the fault within the Sleepbuds.
For now the next step would be to get to contact your local service centre and check what service options you have available to you. You can do that HERE. Select your country, then scroll down to 'Contact Us'. Let me know if you have any issues getting through to your local support.
We aren't sure if this is happening with every Sleepbud, so there is still more research to do. We all here at Bose appreciate your patience and tolerance with the issue. If there are any updates I will let you know. Again thank you. All your efforts aren't going wasted. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will be keeping an eye on the thread.
So I'm just back from local service center (Lithuania). Never thought I'd ever say that - worst and most impolite support ever. I really regret I didn't have voice recorder, so now I don't have any proof how they are communicating with clients 😞 Hope the info below will help others living here:
- You have to bring item to service center yourself. They do not accept shipping, because clients do not pack items correctly.
- They do not accept items which are purchased in other countries, but are unable to tell this by email or phone! They require separate 'warranty' paper, item S/N on invoice, proof that money is paid (and maybe something else, no idea).
- They are not interested in any sceenshots you have / things you did trying to debug the issue.
What support thinks about my buds charger and my usage habits:
1. They've told me that 'reset' button on my charger is located somewhere 'too deep' and there's no 'click' feel. So I must have damaged it somehow and this might be the cause of 'not charging' issue. They've let me try what is 'correct click feeling' on another charger - yes, it is different. But I've used 'reset' on my charger only when 'charging only to 48%' issue appeared for the first time, and it felt the same way as it feels now. Maybe this could be yet another thing for Bose team to investigate? Now when I think about this after some time - I remember something like white 'button' was visible in their case, which is not available on mine. The space to insert some 'resetting tool' might be wider on their case also - they used wooden toothpick without any adjustments on their case, and had to cut it to make it thinner for resetting mine. Are there several versions of charging cases?
2. They've told that I cannot leave charger case connected to power source most of the time, as this can damage battery (and maybe it's already damaged). Really??? No overcharge protection in this item? If yes - why this is not listed in user manual?
(Actually, Owners Guide page 20 says "Keep the case connected to AC (mains) power when possible to make sure that your sleepbuds™ are always fully charged"...)
As my sleepbuds were bought using german e-shop, according to our local support I have to contact them / Bose support in Germany and ship item there for exchange. As I don't speek german well enough, guess this is impossible. I've always thought 'local support center' works "buy anywhere, we'll help you where you live" - looks this is different.
Well, we've bought several other Bose items from online shops (Germany and UK), none of them include S/N on invoices or other addidional warranty papers except which are provided in standard Bose packaging. Hope none of them will need warranty ever, as it appears we have no local support which would help us.
Jan 3, 2019
I would like to add my name to the list of people who cannot get one bud to charge past 43%. My left bud will appear charged (solid white light in case) but when I connect to my iphone, it shows as only 43%. I have updated the firmware, and I have restarted the case with a safety pin. neither of these seem to help. It is very frustrating because I appreciate the technology and depend on the alarm clock function. However, I worry that the alarm will not work because of the buds not charging or not keeping a charge.