Rubbing Noise On Pillow

SOLVED
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Rubbing Noise On Pillow

Hello fellow light sleepers!

I noticed that when sleeping on my side, I hear a loud rubbing sound of a Sleepbud rubbing on my pillowcase every time I breathe in and out. It's like the plastic shell of the sleep bud grips the pillowcase material just enough to catch on it a little and make that sound. It prevents me from sleeping, unless I take a cloth like a towel and lay it over the pillow. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm curious if anyone has found a good pillowcase material that doesn't do this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rubbing Noise On Pillow

@Chris.yue@outlook.com Thank you for writing in. We can confirm that we're in the process of creating decals to address this issue. You will be able to get them at no charge by calling our service team once they become available. You may also read more about that here.

Thanks again,

Mohsin

74 REPLIES

Hello there, E_Colorado! 

Welcome and thank you for reaching out to us. This "pillow noise" as described by some users is something the product team is aware of also and continuing to explore. We appreciate that you shared this feedback here, and we'll let you know if we learned anything new. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Quiet Contributor

I too have been getting the pillow noise. The plastic keeps on rubbing on my pillow with the slightest movement and the sounds makes it difficult to sleep in

Friendly Fanatic

I received my Sleepbuds yesterday and tried them out last night. I had been concerned about the reports of "pillow noise" here and on Amazon, but was pleased to find that, at least for me last night, this wasn't an issue. I'd guess that it depends on the pillowcase fabric and maybe the firmness of the pillow. 

I played around a bit with the placement of the buds in my ears and hypothesized that if the tips were not fully in the ear canal - perhaps due to a mismatch in tip size to ear size - the bud body sticking out of the ear more than it should otherwise could cause rubbing.

Friendly Fanatic

Thanks! That person's second idea (fine-grit sandpaper) is something I considered, but haven't tried yet. It's disappointing to read that it didn't fully eliminate the sound for him. So far, the best option I've found is placing a towel over my pillow.

Friendly Fanatic

I'm glad to hear you don't have this issue. You brought up some good points. Perhaps this is more of an issue for people with shallower ear canals. When I sleep on my side, I feel some pressure in my ear from the sleepbud, even when the bud is fully in my ear. That's with a very soft pillow that I "dig" a little canal in just for my ear, to reduce that pressure.

May I ask what material your pillowcase is made from? Mine is 100% polyester, branded as "microfiber".

Friendly Fanatic

My pillowcase is 100% (Egyptian) cotton (from Costco, if I recall correctly). I could well believe that a synthetic fabric was more amenable to noise.

I can feel a slight pressure in my ears from the buds, but not really from the pillow. The bud sits behind the fleshy protrusion at the front of the ear (I have no idea what it is called). My pillow is rather firm, which I imagine also helps as there is no "digging in".

My second night with the Sleepbuds was better than the first, as I became used to the feeling.

Friendly Fanatic

I have the same issue. It is like a squeaking between my pillow and the plastic on the bud. I glued a small piece of fabric on the bud about the size of a pea. Works well now.

Friendly Fanatic

I ended up doing this:

I removed the StayHear+ Sleep tips, and used 220 grit sandpaper to lightly sand off the shiny coating on the outer shell that faces the pillow, being careful not to scratch the antenna area.

Although this solved the problem, I don't recommend doing this unless you're willing to void your warranty. I hope Bose will address this problem!