Rubbing Noise On Pillow

SOLVED
Audible Advocate

Re: Rubbing Noise On Pillow

The solution is that they are making decals. The issue is that they aren't ACTUALLY making the decals they are looking into making them. When they are done, they will let us know.
Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

They said there's a solution now and then ignored us when we asked what it was.

Some other posters have mentioned exchanging 4, and even 6, times already.

Wistful Whisperer

Racking my brains looking for a solution as I benefit from the product. Thanks for taking the time to post this, Bose should have picked this up in Beta or R&D stage. Thanks again for posting this solution, it does work for others reading this and PTFE tape is pennies.
Wistful Whisperer

This link doesn’t work? Can you provide another update to this fix please as the product is too frustrating to use while this problem persists.
Audible Advocate

PTFE tape has been working in the interim, but it's annoying having to inevitably reapply it every week or so.

Friendly Fanatic

@ph0re 

Hiya!  In case you were replying to me....

Goto Amazon and search for "Acuzone Ear Vaccaria Seed (100pcs per box) by K.S. Choi Corp".

They are little squares of soft tape with a seed in the middle.  Throw out the seed, trim square to size, wipe back of sleepbud with a bit of alcohol to get the oils off, and stick it on.

I went with the "whatever works right now" approach :-).  I put "try ptfe tape" somewhere on my todo list, but my current solution seems to be "good enough" for me.

Cheers!

Audible Advocate

Just posting an update I am trying when having to reapply my PTFE tape. Instead of cutting four squares and cross laying them on the head of the sleep buds this time I applied the tape around the whole sleep bud four times. I applied it with a bit of tension and put the cut of the tape ending under where the charge ports are and cut this with scissors. Don't try and stretch and break the tape as you want the join underneath the bud. The tape does cover the charge ports when wrapping around the bud but it does not cover the speaker port. I just use a small sharp craft knife to carefully cut from the centre inner edging of the charge port to the outer edges of the PTFE tape to expose them for charging. This does seem to have held the tape on really well but am still in the trial period with this method but looks promising to last quite a while. Hope it helps. 

Audible Advocate

If you place the sleepbud in your ear, and turn on one of the sounds, you can repoduce the rubbing sound by rubbing your finger on the bud.  But....if you touch the tragus (the little nub that sticks out above the lobe next to where a male's sideburn is located) you hear the same noise.  If you rub the tragus up and down, you get the same sounds you do if you rub the sleepbud itself.  Some men have little hairs on the tragus, that could be rubbing on the pillow rather than the bud.  One thought is that the noise is actually being generated from the tragus rubbing on your pillow, not the bud itself.  I don't get the rubbing noise in my left bud, but sometimes do on the right.   Unfortunately, the bud rests against the tragus, so there's not much the tape/decal will do.  Just sharing what I found...not sure if it helps...

Silent Starter

Sleepless in Virginia.....

I have a problem with my left earbud.  Every time I try to sleep on my left side my earbud comes in contact with my pillowcase and makes loud noises every time I breath in and out.  The round part of the earbud must be touching the pillow and causing some interference.  Is something wrong and do I need to return my buds to Bose?  These were a Christmas gift from my husband.  

Thanks, mstar

Friendly Fanatic

If your theory is correct, then there would be that annoying sound with or without the earbuds. However, it only happens with them in the ear. Similarly, the noise wouldn’t go away when one uses tape on the buds if it were just the tragus. The sound happens because the bud is hard and smooth. Using sandpaper or scoring the plastic housing with a utility knife works....as does tape. 

Lisa