Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 22, 2019

Re: Rubbing Noise On Pillow

My fix so far (which seems to be working well) is to make round PTFE adhesive stickers and attach them to each Bose sreepbud.

I used PTFE adhesive tape marketed as a replacement for computer mouse feet (PTFE mouse tape, about 0.002in thick)

I then used a hollow 8mm punch (going to try a 3/8 in punch next) to cut out the circles.

Voila! Seems to work well!

It is a bit difficult to peal the tiny disk off after punching it. I tried stacking a few layers, punching, and then pealing. I also tried sticking it to a left over band aid adhesive paper cover, punching, and then pealing. It might be better to buy PTFE tape with a removable backing at the start!

I'm not sure how long the adhesive will last. I think the oils from the ear will eventually mess with the silicone adhesive used, but we'll see.

Update 2019-02-05-16:35:06-UTC - 3/8 in punch is too big (it actually creates a 10mm disc, not 9.5mm, so I'm returning it).  I'm going to try a 9mm inside taper hollow punch next.  I'm hoping the inside taper helps fillet the edges of the ptfe disk a bit.  I'll report back.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 5, 2019

Wouldn't a more professional solution be a slight redesign of the silicone tips? Put an extra strip of transparent silicone down the middle of the opening for the buds...

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2019

@Kiwi1 wrote:

Just posting an update I am trying when having to reapply my PTFE tape. Instead of cutting four squares and cross laying them on the head of the sleep buds this time I applied the tape around the whole sleep bud four times. I applied it with a bit of tension and put the cut of the tape ending under where the charge ports are and cut this with scissors. Don't try and stretch and break the tape as you want the join underneath the bud. The tape does cover the charge ports when wrapping around the bud but it does not cover the speaker port. I just use a small sharp craft knife to carefully cut from the centre inner edging of the charge port to the outer edges of the PTFE tape to expose them for charging. This does seem to have held the tape on really well but am still in the trial period with this method but looks promising to last quite a while. Hope it helps. 

Update. This is working really well. Still applied and looks like it will last a very long time. Maybe ever! I should have mentioned you need need to remove the sleep bud from the cover for this method. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 6, 2019

I had this problem too. Take a small piece of tape – it can be scotch tape, masking tape, or painters tape – and put it over the logo area on each bud. The tape should be big enough to cover the actual plastic that is touching your pillow but not extend past the rubber. This will stop the noise.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Ridiculous we as customers who spend a lot of money have to find our own soulution by putting tape etc. Is that why this topic is marked as solved?? Haha… What on Earth takes them so long to solve this problem for real? Overall how the hell they did not notice this issue before putting them on the market?? If creating anti-friction decals is so difficult then just redesign the whole product with some cover that does not make this noise! And then give customers the choice to replace the whole product for new proper ones! Understand that it will be a financial disaster for Bose. But if Bose asks this kind of money and brand themselves as a high quality company they should do something very quicly to keep their customers satisfied! This product as it is now is unaccaptable!! 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 21, 2018

This issue is not solved and the thread should not be marked as "solved". This is an ongoing issue that Bose have publicly ignored for 6 months after promising a vague solution soon after the product launched.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Hold on Everybody...just hold on...calm down. It's been almost a month since the last time Tony G. has told us that they are looking into a solution. I'm sure that they a.... never mind, I'll just say it for him as it's almost guaranteed that this will be the next canned response anyway.

"Hi all,
I just wanted to jump in again and let everyone know that we are still working on providing decals for the Sleepbuds. As soon as we have more information we will be sure to update the community!

Regards,

Tony G"

There. Maybe we can all sleep better tonight. Pun Intended.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi SirSlick,

Thank you for responding. I can assure you that this is something that we are serious about remedying and we appreciate everyone's patience. If you are not satisfied with your product for this or any reason, we would suggest contacting your local Sleepbuds support team who would be happy to help you. 1-800-905-1273 Hours: Mon. – Fri., 9 AM – 9 PM ET Sat., 9 AM - 7 PM ET. 

Or you can contact your local support team. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Update: as of today Feb. 19, 2019, these decals are still under development and unavailable to consumers. I learned this through a call to customer service, as the “solution” suggested. The representative was very polite but, after a 15min+ wait, I was disappointed to learn that no solution to “pillow noise” yet exists.

It is actively under development and they are aware that is it a known and prevalent issue, however, Gordon (the customer service rep) shared that development is taking longer than they anticipated. I asked for how we will know when a solution is available and he said to keep checking the boards (could not guarantee that customers would receive a marketing or email update).
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

Hey.

Quick question. I am following this thread since weeks as i have the same issue.

Its now march - after announement for Dec/Jan - and i was hoping the decals are available in Europe by this time already. 

Any further Updates available?

Thanks

T