Highlighted
dkdyal
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Serial Number Issue

I wanted to bring awareness to a problem I encountered with this Bose product. I bought a pair of Sleepbuds at Best Buy and tried them out, but decided they were not to my liking. When I attempted to return them, Best Buy refused the return saying the serial numbers on the product and packaging did not match. I called Bose directly and was told that Best Buy was confused because there could be up to 4 different serial numbers in one package. They also sent me an email with that information. Best Buy still refused the return stating that their in-store Bose consultant confirmed the numbers should match and that they proved that by opening a new package. I was able to return them at a different store, but I find this very concerning. If there are in fact different serial numbers between the product and packaging, that causes a real problem for the consumer when they need to exchange or return a Bose product. I won't be shopping at Best Buy again, but I'm also now hesitant to purchase any Bose products in the future after this experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Serial Number Issue

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Hector_B

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience in this matter, and I will be happy to clarify this for you.

The reason you see multiple serial numbers for these products are because they have a number for each separate part. There are 4 locations in total:

-2x Sleepbud Serial Numbers, one for L and one for R, which are found within the Bose Sleep app.

-1x Charging Case serial number, which is located on the underneath of the charging case in small print.

-1x Product Serial number, which is on the packaging. 

The good news is that any of these 4 serial numbers you provide will all link up to the same overall product, and any Bose representative that you speak to will understand this.

We apologise that this message has not been conveyed clearly to the 3rd party sellers. I will relay this feedback to the relevant department to see if this can be addressed going forwards.

@DrivenKeys I'm sorry to hear of the charging issue you've had since trying the new sounds.

If you have not already done so, my recommendation is to reset the charging case by inserting a small thin object into the rear of the charging case until a click is heard, and to let these buds charge for 30-60 minutes, then check that this is charging correctly.

I would also advise connecting this to a computer or laptop via a USB to Micro USB cable, and heading HERE to update the charging case manually.

I hope this helps clear this up, and please get back to me if this is unclear or for any followup!

Liam W

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Dkdyal, 

Many thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you've had this experience.

Generally the serial number on the products and the packaging will be the same, however the packaging will have other reference numbers which could have been mis-read by the staff at Best Buy. I do apologise for the level of service provided at this store, this is not what Bose strives for.

I'm please that you did get the level of service at an alternate store which resolved the issue, however it should have been resolve in the first instance.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

dkdyal
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Well I just received reply to my post on the Bose Facebook page that indeed confirms the possibility of different serial numbers. It seems there is confusion that needs to be addressed.

jwbyrne
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

There are Three serial numbers.

One on the case and One on each individual sleepbud.

I ran into this whilst registering my sleepbuds.

Each needs to be registered separately.

DrivenKeys
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 12, 2019

When removing the rubber, my individual buds don't have numbers, only a qr code. The SN on the box is indeed different than that on the case, and there are no other numbers that could be mistaken for a SN. The bottom of my case doesn't even look like the one on Bose's serial number location page.

With all the conflicting reports, this feels like an early adopter product with too little organization for customer service to keep up with.

My right bud stopped taking a charge over 25% since I tried to upload a new sound. I'm still within Best Buy's 15 day return policy, so we'll see what happens!
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Hector_B

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience in this matter, and I will be happy to clarify this for you.

The reason you see multiple serial numbers for these products are because they have a number for each separate part. There are 4 locations in total:

-2x Sleepbud Serial Numbers, one for L and one for R, which are found within the Bose Sleep app.

-1x Charging Case serial number, which is located on the underneath of the charging case in small print.

-1x Product Serial number, which is on the packaging. 

The good news is that any of these 4 serial numbers you provide will all link up to the same overall product, and any Bose representative that you speak to will understand this.

We apologise that this message has not been conveyed clearly to the 3rd party sellers. I will relay this feedback to the relevant department to see if this can be addressed going forwards.

@DrivenKeys I'm sorry to hear of the charging issue you've had since trying the new sounds.

If you have not already done so, my recommendation is to reset the charging case by inserting a small thin object into the rear of the charging case until a click is heard, and to let these buds charge for 30-60 minutes, then check that this is charging correctly.

I would also advise connecting this to a computer or laptop via a USB to Micro USB cable, and heading HERE to update the charging case manually.

I hope this helps clear this up, and please get back to me if this is unclear or for any followup!

Liam W

View solution in original post

BC3
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 21, 2019

My Bose Sleepbuds have turned out to be a huge disappointment. They started out great, but now they only give me the "left bud not found" error. I have tried ALL of the on-line suggestions and none of them work - this device is clearly defective, and should NOT have been allowed to be sold a retail.

As a bonus, there is literally NO WAY to find the serial numbers, as it's all QR codes, and, despite what the on-line support people say, the sleep bud serial numbers are NOT in the Sleep Bud app ANYWHERE.

This is hugely disappointing, as for the few weeks they worked, they worked well, but now they are USELESS.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello BC3,

Thanks for posting in this thread, I am saddened to hear that you feel you have had a negative experience with the Sleepbuds. I completely understand your frustration with this situation, I would recommend reaching out the customer care team as they would be more than happy to help you further. In regards to the serial number, you should be able to find it under the charging case if you are not able to find it in the app successfully. As @Liam_W mentioned when you speak to one of the customer care team you only need one of the serial numbers as they will all relate to each other and we will still be able to help you even if you only have one serial number.

I hope this is helpful, should you need anything else then please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

deebo728
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I just had the same issue at Target. They will not accept my return because they stated the serial number for the earbuds, box and charger did not match. Spoke to a manager and he stated he couldn't accept the return as well. Now what am I going to do with earbuds that I'm not happy with? I'm out $200+. Maybe I'll try another Target.