Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

Sleepbuds 1 - Battery leak???

Hi

My Sleepbuds 1, had the battery issue, but I got them replaced almost two years ago. This pair has worked well so far. Only one issue has been that the magnets has fallen off one on both but were fixed by some Bose technician. Now one of the magnets has fallen off again and since the product is no longer under warranty I thought I would try to fix it myself. Upon taking them both apart I noticed to my horror that the battery might have leaked in both Sleepbuds. Both were a bit moist in the shell. The plastic seems to have fallen off somewhat on the back and it has become fragile. There is a visible green spot as well. See image:

https://imgur.com/jWr7sv3

When these were discontinued because of the battery, they were not called back. And it stated on the website of Bose what I pasted below stating that it was fine to continue to use them. Has anyone had a similar problem? I find it freightning that battery acid potentially has leaked into my ears!!! I haven't felt anything so hopefully that is not the case. 

Does the product present a safety issue? Is it being recalled?
No. Sleepbuds™ did not present a safety issue and were not recalled. However, because the battery we chose did not work as consistently or predictably as it should to meet our standards, we decided to discontinue the product. If your sleepbuds™ are still working fine, we encourage you to keep using them. If you encounter issues, we will continue to provide full support.

I haven’t experienced the issues you are describing. Can I still use my sleepbuds™?

Yes. If your sleepbuds™ are still working fine, we encourage you to keep using them.

https://imgur.com/jWr7sv3

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

Re: Sleepbuds 1 - Battery leak???

Is it correct that it is using a silver-zinc battery? In that case it seems okay?

https://www.unitron.com/content/unitron/lk/en/consumer/help/Rechargeable-faq/The-battery-cell-on-the...

Highlighted

Hi MadsT,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for joining us!

You certainly should not be seeing any fluid leaking in your headphones! If you are worried the battery has leaked please reach out to your local support team so we can look into this further with you. We take your safety very seriously, and your local support team will be able to help with this. You can find the contact information for them at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

It is a silver-zinc battery that is used in the Sleepbuds, but if you are worried it is leaking please do reach out even if you think it should be safe!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2020

Thanks for the reply. I will just stop using them, don't want to have this in my ear. I was just worried if this leak might have been harmful to my ears. I am not sure if it could have reached my ears or if it has stayed within the sleepbuds. But from what I can read about these batteries they should be pretty harmful in this regard and is often used in hearing aids. Isn't that correct ?

Highlighted

@MadsT Our local support team will be able to best assist with any queries you have about this! We also encourage you to check out any service options we have available. Please use the link above to find contact details.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!