Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Sleepbuds 2 - left bud won’t charge past 22%

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those hoping the sleepbuds 2 would be a better quality product, but it looks like Bose have not resolved anything with their change of battery technology. 

I received my sleepbuds today and have had then on charge for the last 6 hours. The right bud is fully charged to 100% and the left bud just will not charge above 22%. This is even worse than the previous 58% issue with the first generation. To make matters worse, seeing as these are pretty heavily on back order, I doubt very much I’ll be able to get any replacements for many weeks to come. Even then, can any of us be sure we’re all not going to run in to continuous issues over and over again like those with the first generation buds. It’ll be interesting to see the posts on here over the coming days to see if my issue is isolated or there are disturbing trends of battery issues once again. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Re: Sleepbuds 2 - left bud won’t charge past 22%

Author Accepted Answer selected by Wayne_M

Thanks once again for everyone to contributing to this thread. I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Resetting the case may temporarily solve the battery reading the correct charge, but the correct and long-term solution is to calibrate the battery. To do this the Sleepbuds need to go through a full uninterrupted charge cycle until the long, bar LEDs glow solid, which can take up to 6 hours.

Once the battery is fully charged so that the LEDs on the side of the case glow solid it should align the battery reporting levels. After that you would not need to charge them to full each time to get an accurate report – but we recommend you regularly let the case and buds do a full charge. You should also not need to reset the case.

Regarding the battery itself, the Sleepbuds II use a nickel-metal hydride battery, which is different than a lithium battery. You can read more about the battery in the FAQ here and in our story here.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

just spotted a reset hole on the back of the charging case, so found a pin to trigger a reset and now both buds are showing as 100% charged. 

So there definitely seems some bug in the system. I’m not sure why a reset tells the buds to report the correct battery life when before the left was stuck showing 22% as it doesn’t seem as though the charging cradle connects to the app in any way (would be nice if it showed the charging case battery life if it did). 

I’m pleased I seem to fix the issue, but concerned it was there as my first experience out of the box. So this post is now more a word of warning and advice on how to possibly solve the issue if you encounter it. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 9, 2020

I just received my Bose Sleepbuds II

today. Before I charged them I connected them to my app, I believe there was a L17% and R19% charge. I had them plugged in and charging for 4 hours and they only had a L22% and R23% charge. I thought something was wrong and glad I read this post on the forum. As soon as I reset the case, both buds instantly showed 100% charge. I hope there are no more battery issues, I can not sleep without them. I’ve gone through 3-4 pairs of the original Sleepbuds because of connectivity and battery issues. My wife snores and I’m a light sleeper. With the sleepbuds we can finally sleep together again. We live by an airport and although the planes don’t fly to low I still can hear them and that would also keep me up, not anymore! Thanks Bose and please don’t let me and others down who need your product for a good nights sleep. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

I’m glad it’s not just me and this post provided the solution to stop someone else panicking like I did. Pleased to say I wore them all night (7 hours sleep) and they currently have 47% battery each. 

I used to sleep with a pair of cheap wired Sony earphones (smallest ear pieces I could find) and didn’t really notice how much pressure sleeping on my side put on my ears. But the Sleepbuds being so small and flat felt like I had nothing in them at all and my head felt really comfortable on the pillow. I used ‘Rumble’ last night and will test some others as the week goes by to find the sound I like the best. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 9, 2020

Woke up after 8 hours of sleep and both buds still had a 42% charge left! Compared to the first generation sleepbuds, the sound quality is much better(fuller). Very comfortable, no weird noises from rubbing on my pillow(side sleeper). They completely mask my wife’s snoring, the first generation buds I would sometimes hear her. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

There seems to be some sort of issue with the battery reporting section of the firmware. I was doing a battery test on mine to see how long they’d really last over the 10

hours. After around 12 hours, the right bud disconnected from the app but the left one still reported 12% battery. I wondered if I’d just caused the right to disconnect by being too far from my phone, so popped the buds back in the case and took them straight out again to reconnect them. The right earbud immediately reported 100% battery with the left still stating 12%. It seems like we’re never going to be able to trust the battery life info until

the bug is fixed. The fix seems to be to reset the case, but I really shouldn’t have to be doing that with a £230 product. Can Bose confirm if this is on a fix list. Can you also confirm if there is a better way to post bug reports and suggestions other than on here as this method seems like a complete waste of time for getting issues fixed. 

It feels like I’ve paid £230 to be beta testing a buggy product (I have certain issues with the sounds too). If we could possibly have direct access to the development team for these, it would be far more efficient. 

Highlighted

Hello @Denziloshamen and @MRIDAN

Thank you for posting in the forums. 

This is not something we have seen with the new Sleepbuds II. A reset was a great start, can I please ask how long you have owned your Sleepbuds II and how many times you have fully charged them? It would also be great to know how you are charing the Sleepbuds, are you using the provided cable? If so, what power outlet are you using?

I look forward to your reply. 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Received on Friday. Initial charge was for 6 hours with the case being charged using the provided USB-C cable. Subsequent charges (Saturday and Sunday morning, have been in the case without it being plugged in. I intend to charge the case separately and only charge the buds when the base is not plugged in). 

as you can see from this thread. My first issue with the battery status was in my first charge. The second issue was today after just putting back in the case and taking straight out again, the right bud immediately reported a 100% battery life (from 12%) after being in the charge case for a few seconds. The bud clearly wasn’t charged, but something in the firmware in the case or the buds seems to be giving some form of false return. At the moment, I’m not sure I can really know when the buds are fully charged only by the fact they have been in the case for several hours so assume they must be. After the current charge, the case battery will need to be recharged, which I will do over night whilst using the sleepbuds and then unplug in the morning when putting the buds back in the case. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 9, 2020

I received my sleepbuds on Friday October 9th. I’m charging them with the included cable. I’m using the outlet adapter that came with my original sleepbuds. Why did Bose not supply an adapter to plug the Sleepbuds 2 into an electrical outlet? I leave the case plugged into power on my nightstand and charge them every morning when I wake up. They’re currently on their third charge. I’ve had no battery/charging issues except for the first time charging when I received my new SleepBuds last Friday. After I reset the case, I’ve had no battery issues. 

Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

@Denziloshamen Thanks for reporting and sorry to hear you ran into this issue.

Returning the buds to the case and allowing them to charge until the long, bar LEDs on the left and right side glow solid before removing them from the case should properly calibrate the batteries. This can take up to 6 hours of continuous charging so please do not remove the buds until these LEDs glow solid or the calibration process will restart.

I hope this helps!