Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Re: Sleepbuds Discontinuing Discussion

I agree entirely! they have been a relationship and life saver! I'm pleased to report that the pair I got  in Dec 2019, and have been using every night, are still working perfectly. True, the magnet on the left bud separated, but with a little fiddling to get it in place, it charges up no problem. Both buds charge up to  100% no problem. I have tried all the alternatives, wax plugs, QuietOn etc and none are as effective. Before Dec 2019, I had a pair of problematic Bose sleepbuds, the left one only charging up to 58%. But even these  were better than the alternatives. I hope Bose don't give up on developing a new version...as even with the existing version, they are 95% there!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

Sadly they will die, I can assure you that.  My 4th set worked for over a year (previous ones just a few weeks or months) but now the right bud only lasts a couple hours.  (Of course, the magnets fell off much earlier). 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 21, 2020

I guess I'm late to the party?

My sleepbuds charge just fine but the app won't update at all. It basically makes them worthless.

I just read that the refund for these ran out last December. Apparently I have been living under a rock.

Am I just out of luck?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: I guess I'm late to the party?

Highlighted

Re: I guess I'm late to the party?

Hey Snore, 

Thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear that your Sleepbuds have stopped working. Give us a call using the steps in this thread to get this resolved. In the meantime, we have some exciting news, have you seen our Sleepbuds II have just launched today? Check them out here!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Hey everyone,

Today Bose announced Sleepbuds II, available for pre-order today! Check out the blog article for full details.

To Pre-order, go here for the US. Other regions visit https://global.bose.com/en_us/index.html to select your region and check availability.  

I have modified the FAQs at the beginning of the thread to be relevant to today. The original FAQs can be found below.

I’ve read online customer reviews that state Bose noise-masking sleepbuds™ have a power issue. Is that true? If so, have you fixed the problem?

A number of customers have experienced issues with their sleepbuds™ not charging fully and/or powering down unexpectedly. In researching the issue, we learned that while the battery we chose functions safely, it doesn’t work as consistently or predictably as it should to meet our standards, and that can’t be fixed. As a result, we have decided to discontinue the product. However, we remain committed to developing innovative solutions to help people sleep.

Why did it take Bose so long to acknowledge this issue?

Due to the nature of battery testing, it took time for us to understand the extent of the issues and why failures were occurring. We believed it would be confusing and unhelpful to communicate about the issue without understanding either its root cause or our ability to address it. Unfortunately, we learned that while the battery we chose functions safely, it doesn’t work as consistently or predictably as it should to meet our standards, which led us to discontinue the product. We apologize that our lack of acknowledgement of this issue while we were working to understand and fix it caused added frustration, especially for customers who contacted us multiple times. Our communications should be better. We also offered unhelpful support information that inadequately responded to some customers’ questions. We sincerely apologize for these failures and the frustration we caused.

Does the product present a safety issue? Is it being recalled?

No. Sleepbuds™ do not present a safety issue and are not being recalled. However, because the battery we chose doesn’t work as consistently or predictably as it should to meet our standards, we have decided to discontinue the product. If your sleepbuds™ are still working fine, we encourage you to keep using them. If you encounter issues, we will continue to provide full support.

What exactly is the problem?

The chemistry, size, energy density, and safety properties of the unique battery used in sleepbuds™ made it the only battery available at the time that could fulfill our ambitious vision for the product. This was a new-to-the-world application of this battery. The additional experience we now have with sleepbuds™ under long-term use, along with the extensive research, experimentation, and testing we did when trying to address customer issues, has led us to learn that while the battery functions safely, it doesn’t work as consistently or predictably as it should to meet our standards. That can’t be fixed, and as a result, we have decided to discontinue the product.

I haven’t experienced the issues you are describing. Can I still use my sleepbuds™? 

Yes. If your sleepbuds™ are still working fine, we encourage you to keep using them. If your sleepbuds™ become problematic, please contact us, and we’ll replace them with a pair that has newly manufactured batteries. To be clear, we haven’t fixed the battery-related issues, but these newer units are less likely to be susceptible to problems than an older unit. We expect — but can’t guarantee — that we’ll have enough inventory to offer replacements into early 2020. (Please allow up to 4 weeks for your replacement to arrive.)

What if I experience an issue after December 31, 2019?

You’ll be covered under the product’s 2-year warranty, which includes a replacement if available, or a refund. Please be advised that replacements will be drawn from a limited supply of sleepbuds™ with newly manufactured batteries that are less susceptible — but not immune — to the battery-related issues. We expect — but can’t guarantee — that we’ll have enough inventory to offer replacements into early 2020. If a replacement is not available, you will receive a refund. The process and timeline for your refund will vary by region; please allow at least 4-6 weeks for processing once your returned product is received.

Is Bose giving up on sleepbuds™?

No. We remain committed to developing innovative solutions to help the millions of people who struggle to fall asleep and stay asleep.

I want to keep using sleepbuds™. Will Bose continue support for the Bose Sleep app?

Yes. We are committed to supporting customers whose sleepbuds™ are working fine. We will continue to support the Bose Sleep app through bug fixes and operating system upgrades on both iOS and Android platforms.

My sleepbuds™ are not charging properly (including not charging beyond 48% or 58%) and/or powering down unexpectedly. What can be done to fix the issue?

The issues you’re experiencing have affected other customers as well. In researching these issues, we learned that while the battery we chose functions safely, it doesn’t work as consistently or predictably as it should to meet our standards, and that can’t be fixed. As a result, we have decided to discontinue the product. Moving forward, we will do all we can to take care of you:

1. If you want to continue using sleepbuds™, we’ll replace yours with a pair that has newly manufactured batteries. To be clear, we haven’t fixed the battery-related issues, but these newer units are less likely to be susceptible to problems than an older one. We expect — but can’t guarantee — that we’ll have enough inventory to offer replacements into early 2020. (Please allow up to 4 weeks for your replacement to arrive.)
  2. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can return your sleepbuds™ for a full refund through December 31, 2019. (The process and timeline for your refund will vary by region; please allow at least 4-6 weeks for processing once your returned product is received.)
  3. The Bose Limited Warranty provides additional coverage for sleepbuds™ for two years from the date of retail purchase. Please see https://global.bose.com/warranty for details.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 2, 2018

So I guess this is probably too much to ask, but is there any chance those of us who went through a ton of misery with the first generation could get some kind of discount on the new ones?  This is an utterly life-changing product when it actually works... and I want to have confidence that the issues with the first generation are fixed, but... yeah. 

Those of us who had to get 3-4 sets of these things and were stuck with the last set we have when Bose bailed on the product deserve some recompense for all the hassles, i'd say.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 22, 2020

Agree, as I bought 3 sets from Bose and an additional two from eBay "new in box"  (after Bose stopped selling them) that were either fakes or DOA. Those genuine sets from Bose had two sets replaced, meaning I went through 6 genuine sets that all became non-functional, plus a fake set.

I'm glad these Sleepbuds II are coming out, but those who invested heavily in the first gen, and were your QA staff and product designers of the second version should get something. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 20, 2018

So I kept my recalled Sleepbuds, hoping that something like this would happen. Now that these revised Sleepbuds II have been announced can I swap out my originals for these fixed models?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

Can we still receive a refund for the old buds?  If so, how?  I just tried calling the 'support' number, spent several minutes on hold and the call was dropped.  Which number are we supposed to call?

Apparently there is no online chat option.