Highlighted
kaiserh
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

Re: Sleepbuds Discontinuing Discussion

@MistyStar wrote:

Second question: has anyone found any wireless earbuds that last at least 8 hours on a charge, and are small enough/don't poke out of your ear too much so you can sleep comfortably all night? I'm grateful for any suggestions anyone has.

I don't believe they exist. Bose were pushing the state of the art with Sleepbuds, and in order to get them down to a size that didn't poke out of your ear, they needed to develop a new battery technology. This ultimately proved to be their downfall as the battery technology was not 100% reliable. All other wireless earbuds I've seen have two limitations compared to the Sleepbuds – the first being that they are considerably larger and the second being that they don't have onboard storage, music has to be streamed from your mobile device - meaning you have a Bluetooth radio transmitting and receiving constantly.

Highlighted
eznoh
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 1, 2018

I tried the Cambridge Audio Melomania's. Not quite small enough and though advertised at 9 hours, only 6 - 7.

Mike

Highlighted
MistyStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 9, 2019

Thanks @kaiserh  that's what I figured. If I could find some that are not terribly uncomfortable to sleep in, I'd be willing to take the risk of using bluetooth all night. I saw that you posted links to the sounds a while ago. I was excited, but when I try to download one, it never finishes downloading, even though it shows the full file size amount 😞

Highlighted
kaiserh
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

I've not seen any earbuds that are anywhere near as small as the Sleepbuds. Most other earbuds are 2x – 4x the size of the Bose. This means that the batteries alone in the other units are bigger than the entire battery and electronics in the Sleepbuds.

Everything else sticks out of your ear - which may be OK if you're a front or back sleeper, but if you're a side sleeper, it just won't work.

Highlighted
jswing
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 14, 2019

I received my third replacement pair in early August 2019. And to my surprise they are still working, this is the longest working pair I have since purchasing my first pair in April, they seem to die after two months. So my dilemma is do I keep them or return them before December 31? Bose says they will honor a two year warranty so does that mean I can keep this current pair until August 2021 and return if there are any problems?  Is there anyone out there that has actually had any luck with their replacement pair. I really want to keep them but afraid that January 1 they will stop working... and I will have a hard time getting a refund. 

Highlighted
MistyStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 9, 2019

I'm wondering that myself, @jswing . I think I might take my chances with the warranty 😬

Highlighted
jswing
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 14, 2019

I was looking at a product called QuietOn. They look small and similar but only offer a 1 year warranty in the US two year in other countries. Plus I have never heard of the company. Just not sure.  

MistyStar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 9, 2019

I saw someone post on here about those, they said they don't have an alarm 😞

Highlighted
jswing
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 14, 2019

I am going to attempt to call Bose and see if I can get something in writing. I really want this pair to work as I have grown dependent on them now!! But hate to have them die in a month and then stuck. 

Highlighted
alphalog
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

jswing, regarding Quieton.. might be better than nothing but I was reading reviews on it and many people didn't like it... didn't work as expected.  It also has active noise cancellation, but that also causes a sound (ringing I think) when it's pressed against the pillow (for side sleepers).

Regarding the warranty, if I were in your situation, I would get a replacement to the newly manufactured version.  It sounds like it's only been 3+ months for you; lately mine start to show symptoms at the 4 month mark so you're still in the danger zone lol.

I already received the newly manufactured version... but my 4 month mark will be in Feb 2020.  I'm definitely keeping it and not applying for a refund.  From my understanding, yes, they will honor the warranty.  They will also give you a refund (even after Dec 2019) if they run out of replacement stock (which I interpret as meaning "if they decide to stop manufacturing it or if they just want to wash their hands of the entire product altogether and no longer deal with it").