Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 1, 2018

Re: Sleepbuds Discontinuing Discussion

I heard this several months ago and asked Bose about it and got no reply. I'm afraid they took too much of a bath on this product, both financially and reputation wise.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Now a moderator tells me that Bose is in fact still working on a new version: https://community.bose.com/t5/Sleepbuds/New-product/m-p/265507#M4537

I have absolutely no idea what to believe now. I confronted the Whatsapp CS staff member that I talked to earlier, sent her the screenshot from the link above and asked her to take a stand. She said that she would investigate further and then strangely asked me for my address, name etc. I don't know what's going on here, but I sure as hell will not provide any data without knowing what the company is going to do with it!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

The current version is discontinued. But they have always stated that they are not giving up on the "concept" of a sleep bud device.  So my guess is that they are in R&D right now and are keeping any new release dates under wraps until a new sleep bud device is fully cooked.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I would really love to believe that, but then I have to assume that the Whatsapp CS staff is incompetent. Someone is definitely lying. Because "Bianca" (that's the name I got) told me this today:

"Ich habe gerade intern angefragt, es wird keinen Nachfolger hier geben." which translates to "I asked internally, there will be no successor". So either she is lying, or the others are lying. I have no idea what to believe.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

I love the sleepbuds and I do understand your frustration.  I also want to remain hopeful, but on the other hand, you should read between the lines.  Writing inflammatory comments like "Bose is lying to their loyal customers" isn't very helpful.

They said that they're "committed to developing innovative solutions"... which is just corporate-speak for "we're not doing anything right now" or "we're working on something but don't want to overpromise so we're keeping things vague."  Who knows...

Bose is a global corporation with 9000+ employees.  You can ask one team about non-public information and they'll give you a different answer than a different team.  Do you know what everyone is doing in your work place?  Also - Bose likely has subcontractors or third-party vendors who sell Bose products or handle the help desk or customer support; they don't know much either.

I don't think that Bose would totally give up on the sleepbuds, but the battery density problem is a big issue.  If you look at any true wireless earbuds in the market right now, there's a reason why most products only give 2-5 hrs per charge and they're all big ... not tiny like the sleepbuds.  Bose could be working on a new version but it still needs to be tested thoroughly.  How many times have we read in the news about batteries heating up, burning, or exploding?

@AlcuZan wrote:

So turns out Bose is lying to their loyal customers.

Back in November, a store employee told me that a new version of the sleepbuds will be released early 2020, ca. at the end of January. Because my fifth pair of sleepbuds is starting to fail now, I contacted the support via Whatsapp today to check if there are any news that they can tell me so I can remain hopeful. They then told me that the man in the store lied to me. Bose gave up on sleepbuds, there will be no successor.
Is Bose giving up on sleepbuds? Their answer in the press release is: "No. We remain committed to developing innovative solutions to help the millions of people who struggle to fall asleep and stay asleep." That is a LIE.
Bose is not continuing to work on a solution. I sincerely hope that more people will learn of this and that it causes a massive outroar. This company does not deserve to earn any more money.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I am sorry about the lying thing, but someone definitely is and I am just massively enraged because of that. You are right about the corporate-speak thing, but if you take a look at this thread: https://community.bose.com/t5/Sleepbuds/New-product/m-p/265507#M4537

There you have it:

"we will be producing a newer version of the Sleepbuds."

So I get mixed information by the CS, who both work for the same company. If they don't know for sure, they should tell me this and not lie to me. Of course I don't know what everyone in my company is doing, but I would not give false information to a customer.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

You're right that Bose employees should not be giving the wrong information to customers.  I agree - if they don't know, they should say that.

However, I suspect that we are getting different answers because Bose doesn't even know; it's still in development and testing.  You can already sense their frustration in the Oct 3 public memo.  They know that there's a demand for the sleepbuds and they want to get it right --- but the battery technology is not advanced enough and they're still running into technical problems (even with the newly manufactured battery).

Bose has already offered to refund our money or continue to honor the warranty if we want to keep it.  Bose is doing the right thing -- there's no loss to us as customers except maybe time wasted.  If they do develop a new version that fixes the problem, then great... we can take the refund and get the new version.  Otherwise, we got our refund.  I wish other companies would do the same!  

@AlcuZan wrote:

I am sorry about the lying thing, but someone definitely is and I am just massively enraged because of that. You are right about the corporate-speak thing, but if you take a look at this thread: https://community.bose.com/t5/Sleepbuds/New-product/m-p/265507#M4537

There you have it:

"we will be producing a newer version of the Sleepbuds."

So I get mixed information by the CS, who both work for the same company. If they don't know for sure, they should tell me this and not lie to me. Of course I don't know what everyone in my company is doing, but I would not give false information to a customer.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Unfortunately that is not true anymore. Since the new year began, Bose is not giving out refunds anymore. They will only do that when their remaining stock of sleepbuds is used up.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

right - but they gave us a choice from Oct to Dec (3 months to decide).

You can try calling Bose and asking if they will still give you a refund.  I suspect that they will because it's cheaper for Bose to give you a refund now than wasting money on customer support hours and shipping costs back and forth (Bose pays for shipping both ways -  shipping my replacement to me & my shipping the defective one back to them... that expense adds up).

@AlcuZan wrote:

Unfortunately that is not true anymore. Since the new year began, Bose is not giving out refunds anymore. They will only do that when their remaining stock of sleepbuds is used up.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I know that. I am on my fifth pair and got refunded for the other four. The replacement takes at least 2 weeks so what I did before was asking Bose to take the defect sleepbuds back, then going to the nearest electronics store and buying new ones because that was the fastest way and I didn't need to wait 2 long weeks before I could sleep peacefully again. I did ask Bose if I could get another refund and they said no. That option expired with the beginning of 2020.