Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Re: Sleepbuds Discontinuing Discussion

Lol, wow you think the bose sleepbuds is "more" than just a passive seal/earplug with soothing sounds playing? There's no special technology in the sleepbud's passive seal.  Just about every earbud out in the market has some kind of passive seal, some more than others.  Please - don't believe the advertisement.

You can tell just by putting on the sleepbuds without playing any masking sounds.  It's just a glorified earplug and it doesn't shield that much sound either.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Maybe yours are faulty then, if you even own them. Because mine definitely shield sounds when they're connected to the phone, even when nothing is played. I can barely hear anything from the outside when i put them on. Please get off your high horse and stop spreading lies. Of course there is special technology in the buds. Why else would they cost over 200 euros? Don't be ridiculous 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

The high cost is due to the extremely compact size, long battery life (albeit buggy), while still having the circuitry to play sounds and connect to bluetooth.  Most earbuds don't last that long or are that small.  Nothing very special about the noise masking though, but if you believe it... more power to you!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Explain to me how the buds are enabling me to not hear anything from the outside if they don't have technology that accomplishes that. I think that is just your opinion, and not an actual fact. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

The Sleepbuds work on two, complimentary, principles.

One is masking of external noises. The sounds that the Sleepbuds play masks exterior sounds. This is like someone shouting and someone else whispering at you - you can only hear the person shouting, not the person whispering.

Two is the isolation from external noises. The Sleepbuds make a seal against your ear cavity. Even with no sounds playing, they function as ear plugs.

The end result is that there is less of the exterior sound making it into your ears, and the sounds that they play back helps to mask what sound does make it into your ears.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

@alphalog I have a pair of those (Jabra) and use them primarily for sporting activities and they work very well.  I have no problem with battery life lasting through the evening.  My only issue with these is that they are not comfortable in your ears if you are a side sleeper.  So for me, until a better alternative is available I use the Quite Control 30.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

@RonaldW, Thanks for letting me know about the Jabra.  I alternate between side and back sleeping.  Do you think you would get woken up in the middle of the night if you side-slept with them?  I was hoping that I would fall asleep on my back... then if I turn on my side during sleep, I would continue to sleep through it?

I also have the QC30.  I've never tried side sleeping with them, but for some reason, I'm afraid that I would crush them or get the cables tangled or yanked lol.  Do you run into that problem?

@RonaldW wrote:

@alphalog I have a pair of those (Jabra) and use them primarily for sporting activities and they work very well.  I have no problem with battery life lasting through the evening.  My only issue with these is that they are not comfortable in your ears if you are a side sleeper.  So for me, until a better alternative is available I use the Quite Control 30.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

@alphalog You are most welcome.  Regarding the Jabra, honestly you would need to try for yourself.  The issue is that the piece that goes into your ear canal is soft silicone (that is fine), but the rest of it is hard plastic.  I sometimes wake in the middle of the night after side sleeping with my ear hurting from the hard plastic rubbing against my ear.

The QC30 on the other hand are almost all soft silicone in your ear.  They don't hurt at all.  I have not had any problems crushing them.  I am a fairly light sleeper so do not move around much.  Don't get me wrong, I have woken up sometimes with the collar flung to one side of my neck, but nothing really  uncomfortable.  Hope that helps.  I am not sure where or whom you would be purchasing the Jabra from but it would not hurt to go ahead, buy and try them, and if the don't work after a night or two returning them to the store.  But always check the return policy first.  I live in the US and retail return policies are generally very favorable to the consumer.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

@RonaldW, I live in California so it's easy for me to get it from Best Buy or Amazon.  I'm definitely planning to try out the Jabra once I get desperate, ie when Bose's replacement stock gets depleted. 😁 And maybe by that time there will be better alternatives in the market.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

@alphalog Good luck and sweet dreams 😊