Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2019

Great post

Excellent post, thanks. Absolutely please do keep up the work Bose, it really is an innovative product that has made a huge difference to my sleep patterns.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2019

Re: Sleepbuds Discontinuing Discussion

According to OP:

"After the letter in the middle of your serial number, mine is a Z:

1. First digit is the year.  Mine=9 = 2019
  2. Next 3 digits is the day of the year.  Mine=208 = July 27th."

Is this an accurate way of finding out when the sleep buds were manufactured, please? My current pair was a replacement made through Belgium customer services, which I received in September '19. If this is correct, then mine were made 26 March '18

I find that worrying.

So my question would be: having assured customers that current replacements are shipping with the latest battery, does this also apply to European customers? And how can we tell we aren't going into 2020 with diminishing replacement stock and a battery that is older?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Hi, I was the OP for that post.  I couldn't find any info on serial #s on the internet for the sleepbuds, but I found it for other Bose products.  It's possible that the serial# info only works for US replacements.

But I agree... It would be troubling because if accurate, it means you got the very first batch... since the sleepbuds didn't release till June 2018 right?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2019

Exactly... so I don't know how one can be sure, if out of the States, that the buds we get as replacements now do have the improved batteries. I've seen it stated twice now that the batteries are an improvement, although obviously not perfect. It'd be a real drag to not benefit from that just because I'm in Europe.

Hope someone from Bose chimes in here......

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2019

I have an older box of pairs sent back. In Belgium they just ask you to send the recharger with the buds in it.

This pair: 8326 (possibly 26th March '19)

But,

One earlier pair: 8289

So, not sure how that pans out...?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

The only thing is that bose didn't announce the discontinuation until Oct 3 2019.  If you received your replacement in Sept 2019, that means you requested a replacement before the announcement and would likely not have received the better version, right?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2019

Thanks for taking the time Alphahog

You may be right but I was thinking that they had simply developed an improved battery that had been shipping over recent months and that now these are all they have in stock, so by definition, a replacement now will have that newer battery.

Question is, do we get the latest stock in Belgium, or does the stock sit in warehouses longer here because demand is far lower.

Unless we get a clear answer from Bose, I can't see how one can tell. I'm not sure the date from serial number works.....

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Even my replacement has a supposed serial # date of July 27, 2019 and I requested mine after the Oct announcement..  I also made sure to ask the rep to confirm that it is the better version, but she didn't sound very convincing.  So you're right... We don't know until someone from Bose confirms.

The serial # info... I searched on the internet and found the same Bose format for all their modern bose products... So I assume that it is the same for the sleepbuds.  So far the dates are within the realm of possibility... In other words, we're not seeing dates like 2016; that would not make sense at all.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 31, 2019

Okay, I have the answer following a chat session with BOSE CS - hope this helps peeps:

"Digits 8 through 11 are the date of manufacture (DOM):
1. Digit 8 identifies the last digit of the year the item was made.
2. Digits 9 through 11 identify the day of the year the item was made.
*For example: 6117 = the 117th day of 2016"

I guess this is consistently the set of digits following the Z. In my case 8326

So the pair I'm replacing date from 22 Nov 18

I can try and reason with CS Belgium, to ask them to be sure to send me a more recently manufactured replacement, but I didn't have a great experience earlier and I expect its so automated that no one sees what is going out.

At least we now know how to tell. I needed to get google to work it out 'tho. I asked

'What was the 326th day of 2018?' CS had told me that that was the date, so I was just confirming.

Hope that helps. I'm not going to be happy if my replacements are '18 again - although I have no idea who I can go to if that is the case....

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

cool thanks for confirming with Bose.. Yeah, I also had to use a date calculator to figure out the day of the year.

If Bose doesn't send us the "better" version, then we're in the same situation... The battery issue will simply come back after 3-4 months. I did notice that my "better" version had a red dot on the outside of the box where the barcode is located.  I've never seen it in my previous 5 replacements.  Probably wishful thinking, but I was wondering if the red dot indicates the better version?