J-Walk
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

Re: Sleepbuds Discontinuing Discussion

After six pairs of Sleepbuds I seem to have a set that is working properly. I was willing to put up with the minor inconvenience of going to my local Bose store because the benefit of a good night’s sleep was so important to me. 

My concern with this announcement is the the Sleep app will be abandoned along with the Sleepbud product and that a future OS update will break the app rendering my Sleepbuds useless. 

Does Bose plan to continue supporting the app?

fractalbrain
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 22, 2019

@Wayne_M Hi!  My post seems to have disappeared and I got a message saying it was removed as spam.  Do you know why? I think it was perhaps removed after I attempted to edit it because I left sentence fragment in.  May it please be reinstated?  I had appreciation statements and a few recommendations in there.

alphalog
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Bose -

Is there any way for me to determine if I have the one with the newly manufactured batteries?  I got a replacement in mid-August 2019.

meredith02
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 9, 2019

I agree - I have only had my sleep buds for a few months and despite a couple of minor issues they have worked well and helped me sleep. There seems little point in keeping them if they are to be discontinued and further updates may cease and potentially mean they become obsolete and do not function to their full capacity. 

Such a disappointment BOSE I did not expect this.

Lead Community Manager

@alphalog If you previously got a replacement it would not have the newly manufactured battery. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Read about how to use the board here and make sure to check out our Community Guidelines as well! Want to leave feedback on how we can improve our Community? Check out our Feedback Forum.
alphalog
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Would it be possible for me to call in the support # to get replaced with the newly manufactured battery even if my current one is not running into any issues yet?

This is my 6th one so it'll likely fail, but I'd like to try out the newly manufactured version to see if it has the same 3-4 month failure as well.  For me - since the issues typically don't appear till 3-4 months of use, I want to start using the newly manufactured version now so that there's enough usage time to determine whether I want to get a refund or not by end of year.  Thx

fractalbrain
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 22, 2019

Second attempt at posting, since the first was removed as spam (no idea why).  Anyway, I'll summarize:

-Bose, the Sleepbuds are a unique, creative, and useful solution to a very real problem.  I've used them almost every single day since getting them, even though I'm on my sixth (I think) pair :-).  I hope you guys keep up the good work and don't give up!

-The design challenges are unique and difficult, no doubt about it!  It feel like you guys are almost there, although it does "feel" as though a physical and circuit redesign may be necessary to deal with the charging and magnet issues.
-Bose, you should know you helped me sleep so much better than I had been!

-In case anyone is looking, here is a brain dump of observations/thoughts I've made so far about things that could be improved if there is a version 2 at some point:
* Sheet rubbing issue:  Maybe reducing squeaking by making the entire sleepbud matte instead of glossy.  Another option might be to use ptfe, but I suspect simply changing the texture would help a lot.  Personally, I tried a number of options that DID work, but in the end, I simply wrapped my pillow in a fleece blanket.
* Magnets falling off: Maybe increase magnet size (increase magnetic force) and change the structure so magnets are mounted inside the sleepbud and charging case, instead of glued to the outside.  That might take care of any irritation issue due to the magnets.
* High pitch chirping:  If possible, maybe redesign the circuit to play masking sounds that cover the same frequency range as the undesired switching sounds.  Possibly change filtering?  I mitigated much of the chirping by using phone free mode and wearing them after they stopped trying to "phone the phone" via Bluetooth. Also, it really seems like chirping occurred after trying to load new sounds (presumably would mess with memory access).
* Charging: Sounds like this ways the biggest issue.  Maybe problematic batteries can be weeded out in pre-production?
* Difficult people/edge cases: Side sleeping oily eared people with sensitive hearing in the high ranges who wear it every day (that's me!)
* Marketing:  It seems a lot of people were confused why the Sleepbuds cost so much, but can't play music, or have active noise cancelling.  I think there are obvious reasons why that's not the case, but I think most consumers may not see that.  I'm not exactly sure how the marketing (ads, website, packaging) should be changed, but I think _something_ should be changed.  

DavidBaron
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

I'm looking for some advice:  I might be one of the luckier ones - my sleepbuds have worked almost perfectly for the past 10 months. Maybe 2-4 times have one (or both) buds not recharged to 100%. I think in those few cases one of them only got to like 38% or something, or maybe both. Either way, I removed/re-seated the buds, charged for a half hour and could then get thru the night...

Regardless, I want to ask:  Am I risking a 'good' pair if I turn them in to a local Bose store for a 'new' pair, with 'better' batteries? And that assumes that I can exchange in that way... I do NOT want to mail in what I have and be without anything for 2+ weeks. But again, assuming I can do an in-person exchange, am I being foolish to get rid of something that essentially works, for something that may not work nearly as well?

How long have the 'new' batteries been in production, and have you metrics on how many of *those* have resulted in failures/returns? In other words, are they commercially better, or simply scientifically better?

Thank you.

alphalog
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Hard to say.  This is my 6th one, so chances are your unit will fail too.  Most of my replacements had the 24%/38%/58%/etc charging issue but re-seating/recharging never worked consistently for me.  I've had a few where I would have to babysit the charging every day/every few hours ... and sometimes that still wouldn't work well.

So, if you're not having to babysit the charging most of the time and it's been working for 10 months, I would say to keep it for now.  After some of us try out the newly manufactured one, we'll report back to this forum to share our results.  Then based on the community feedback, you can decide if you want to risk getting the newly manufactured one or not.

toriellen
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

I echo the exact same questions as DavidBaron.  I've had mine for several months, and although I do have charging issues, they have worked MOST of the time with the daily recharging ritual.  The right bud goes reliably all night, while the left usually goes for at least 6 hours, and goes all night (>=8 hours) about half the time.  I'm afraid to gamble on a 'new' set unless I know it'll be superior.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bose can come up with a new, reliable solution.  There's BIG money in this!  People are so desperate for sleep.