Sleepbuds Sound goes off when on my side

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Sleepbuds Sound goes off when on my side

I have only had the Sleepbuds for two nights but when sleeping on my side (either side), if my ear and bud makes contact with the pillow, the sound goes off!  If there is almost no pressure between my ear, bud and pillow it goes back on. I can even press part of my ear (the antitragus opposite the tragus) and sound goes off. I let go and it goes back on. What is happening?

56 REPLIES

Re: Sleepbuds Sound goes off when on my side

Hi Lisa P

Thanks for joining the community!  I'm sorry to hear about the audio issue, but would be glad to help!

It sounds like the sound hole of the ear tip is being pinched closed with the pressure from your finger or pillow.  I would recommend experimenting with the different size ear tips to see if this helps the issue.  

Warm Regards,

Tony - Community Support 

Friendly Fanatic

Hi Tony,

The audio/sound hole is exactly the same size on all three different sizes of ear tips so if it closes up on one, the same thing would happen on the others. I tried each as you suggested anyway, but the issue is the same as I predicted. It even happens if I just gently press on the center part of the apparatus while it is in my ear, and the sound stops.  The only thing I can think of is to cut the hole larger.

Friendly Fanatic

Tony, 

Apparently the sound hole cannot be enlarged since there is mesh inside. So my plan to try that is a no go. To whom might I contact to suggest enlarging the hole or making them more sturdy so that they don’t collapse?

@Lisa P Thank you for getting back to us. We definitely want to take a closer look at what you are experiencing and recommend that you contact our Sleepbuds Support team directly for further assistance. The phone number is (800) 905-1273.

Thank you again!

Mohsin

Friendly Fanatic

I have this problem too. Sometimes when I move to my side, the sleepbud's sound begins to fade in and out with each of my breaths, as the slight movement compresses the oval-shaped sound canal in the StayHear+ Sleep tip. I end up needing to push in a dimple in my pillow where my ear will rest, to create a place I can lay my head without creating as much pressure on the sleep bud.

I've been thinking about making a DIY modification to the sleep tips to strengthen that little canal. Please let me know if you find a good solution!

Friendly Fanatic

I use a memory foam pillow so I can’t create a depression unfortunately. I am so happy that someone else has this issue and maybe we can find a solution. I like your idea of firming up the area around the audio hole!  I wonder if that would make them uncomfortable in the ear though. Being so soft and pliable is key to why they are comfortable. I can’t image that R and D didn’t know of this issue before. I am thinking maybe a tiny rubber or silicone O ring? Glue? Please let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same. 

Friendly Fanatic

I may have the solution. I found some jewelry jump rings. I put one under the collar and it keeps the sound hole open. So far it doesn’t collapse when I press on it and the hol5597B51C-6F65-46FA-81DC-2BC2013DA107.jpege stays open. 

Quiet Contributor

I tried these for the first time last night and they're great other than this same issue about the sound tip collapsing. I called support and was told that there is no solution but I'll try the jewelry jump ring.  The support tech said that they've only had two calls about this which surprises me.

Audible Advocate

I actually experienced this as well, but I'm not looking for some DYI fix... I was also surprised to see all the earbuds are actually the same size? That doesn't make sense to me and this problem seems like a design flaw. For $250 (sleep specific ear buds) not a welcome flaw.