TriDanDroid
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

Re: Sleepbuds squeaking on pillow

I have this occasionally as I sleep on my right ear pretty much every night, all night.

I adjust the pillow so my head's weight is anywhere but my ear and it stops.  Easy enough fix if you tuck your pillow under itself and sleep on your side.

pjfrank
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Fantastic!....... as long as you don’t mind not having use of them for the 3 weeks it takes Bose to return them......Oops, it’s that sarcasm again........

Cashley8
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Haha! Bloody great isn’t it! 

It would be better if Bose could send the new ones and then you sent your old ones back so that you don’t have that annoying gap...What a rigmarole eh

Highlighted
Cashley8
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Haha! Bloody great isn’t it.

It would be better if Bose could send the new ones and then you sent your old ones back so that you don’t have that annoying gap...What a rigmarole eh

kaiserh
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

I'm hoping that there will be some kind of self-adhesive decal we can put on the case to stop the squeaking noise - that way we don't need to send the sleep buds in anywhere.

kaiserh
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

OK, well my fix, after trying a number of different self-adhesive materials, was to use black 3M gaffer tape. It's a black cloth tape with a grey adhesive side and can be torn into strips.

I carefully cut out a couple of ~10mm circles and put one on the back of each sleepbud, covering the white plastic but not the grey silicone. This has completely stopped the rubbing/squeaking/creaking noises I got from the plastic rubbing on my cotton pillow case.

jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

I've had some luck with bits of clear packaging tape - it reduces the squeaking, but doesn't adhere to the curved plastic surface for long.

The problem seems to be that the surface of the plastic is too glossy. I'm thinking of lightly sanding it to roughen it. Has anyone already tried this?

Cashley8
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

I tried a few different tapes and I honestly find that double sided tape with the outer layer left on works the best! There’s still a slight friction noise but no squeaking and I’m sleeping so much better! I swear that the squeaking noise was constantly waking be before I put the tape on!