LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

So is there really any special sauce here?

Other than a smaller form factor, which is certainly nice, do the sleep buds provide any other advantages to other wireless earbuds, or even wired earbuds.  It's basically a wireless mini white noise machine with less functionality than a $10 earbud. What am I missing?

9 REPLIES 9
toriellen
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Re: So is there really any special sauce here?

I, too, have wondered the same, as I've been looking for a back-up for when these fail 100% of the time.  It seems that (theoretically) these are among the only ones that will hold a charge for 8 hours (or more).  When they work, that is.  Most wireless/bluetooth earbuds I've been looking into don't seem to have that long of a charge, but let me know if you find any 🙂  I've been considering trying out some wired solutions, but don't want to strangle myself as I toss/turn.

The Bose ones are also quite comfy and small, and form a nice seal around your ear (so you don't need the volume to be as high as you'd need for something that isn't able to block as much external noise).

dandrewk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

There is a huge special sauce here:  Size!

All current wireless buds (often marketed as sports' buds) are HUGE compared to the Bose buds.  Even the very smallest would be impossible for side sleepers, and I can't imagine they would be comfortable in any position if they are stuck in your ears for ~8 hours.  If you could sleep with these in your ears, more power to ya!  But for most, it's a non-starter.

Hello guys,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community, that's a great question! If you are looking to find out a little bit more information about Sleepbuds you can view our marketing page, however, I would encourage other community members to post their experiences and thoughts on the Noise-Masking Sleepbuds!

Should you need anything else please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Hi Zoe - The marketing info on the sleepbuds states:

"Pre-loaded sounds are specifically engineered to optimize sleepbuds’ noise-blocking design. Each sound covers a range of unwanted noises. Find yours."

I asked this before but I only received standard reply from moderater.  

Can you contact the appropriate team at bose about this this , and report back here with a description of which sounds cover which unwanted noises.  It clearly says that each sound was designed to cover specific noises, I just would like to know the partculars"

Thanks.

Hello LeoNeedsToSleep,

That's a good question, so the Sleepbuds will just mask most sounds that are going on around you, however, obviously the only sounds you hear at night are likely to be unwanted e.g. snoring, traffic and pets. You will still be able to hear these sounds as they are not noise-cancelling rather more noise-masking, so you might still snoring but it will be considerably less! Sounds that are small like a pet walking around are so small you might not hear them at all, however, with that said sound is subjective so it will vary depending on your own individual hearing which is why we offer a 30-day return policy as everyone will have a different experience so it is best to try them for yourself. 

I hope this helps, should you need anything else then please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

No zoe, your response is not helpful. I don't think you understand my question, or maybe you do. The Bose Sleep Bud marketing page that you sent me a link to states that each of the sounds were developed to mask particular noises. That is great, now just tell us which sounds are intended for which noises. Understanding the standard disclaimer that individual results may vary. This does not seem like a trade secret, I just want the details that backup that statement. If you can't ask the appropriate team for this, that's ok, just say so, no need for another off point canned response.(sorry do not intend that to sound rude)

Hello LeoNeedsToSleep,

Sorry, I misunderstood what information you were asking for, I would not be able to put you in touch with the development team as we do not have any direct contact information for the team. All of the sounds that are listed on the Bose Sleep app are designed to mask noise during the night, the reason there are so many to choose from it purely for personal preference of sounds that will help them sleep or that they find ambient rather than some sounds being better at masking certain sounds than others.

I apologize if I am still misunderstanding what you are asking.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

Highlighted
LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Yeah Zoe, I am afraid you are not really understanding my question.  I will try one last time.  

From the bose website:

"Pre-loaded sounds are specifically engineered to optimize sleepbuds’ noise-blocking design. Each sound covers a range of unwanted noises. Find yours."

What are the specific noises that the earbuds were engineered for?   or 

What are the specific noises in the range of unwanted noises  that the earbuds were engineered for?

I just would like a response from bose, detailing some of the noises that it has been designed to handle instead of vague claims that cannot be verified or tested. This is starting to sound like medical quakery, where bose cannot provide any factual details around the product claims.

Thanks!

Hi @LeoNeedsToSleep ,

Apologies again that we have not provided an answer to the questions directly. I would be happy to clarify further here.

The specific noises that the earbuds are designed to cancel includes snoring, vehicles passing by, air conditioning/fan noises, and other general noises that you would hear at nighttime. The noises that are associated here would also play at different frequencies (one dog's bark may not sound the same as another), and as such there is no definitive list available of the noises that this is designed to mask.

Furthermore, there is no designated audio level or frequency that these are designed to mask. The sounds available are split into 2 categories: Sounds designed for Noise-Masking, and sounds designed for comfort. While each sound effect will have different effects based on the user, as you have noted with regards to the disclosure here, the sounds are most effective at blocking audio that plays at frequencies that match the frequency that these play at. For example, the "Warm Static" sound is more effective at cancelling higher frequency sounds, while the "Campfire" sound would be more effective at cancelling lower frequencies.

The reason we cite "Each sound covers a range of unwanted noises. Find yours." is because this will have a different effect on each user, and we would recommend that you experiment to find the audio you're happy with.

I hope this helps answer your questions, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Liam W