Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

Tinnitus

How do I choose my own sound that I know cancels my Tinnitus at night?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

Re: Tinnitus

Author Accepted Answer selected by Stitcher

I like the idea Bose listen.

Surely it would be possible for them to allow you to submit one preferred sound that they could then process through their software to make it appropriate for the buds and simply be added to your library?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

You can’t use any of your own sounds with these, you’re purely limited to the options Bose provide in the app. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

Not good enough. Something for the Team at Bose to think about.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Due to the size of the memory and the battery life, the fact they buds are not constantly connected to your phone like normal Bluetooth earphones means that Bose won’t ever allow your own sounds. They’re open to suggestions though and I have been in contact with them mine but we need everyone with suggestions that are feasible to make them on here so that Bose read them and gauge what changes users want before they will even consider looking to implement them. If the community don’t provide suggestions then we’ll never see any changes we want (although you will never be able to import your own sounds, there are possible solutions to make the Sleepbuds more in control of the consumer rather than us being at the mercy of Bose developers). 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 9, 2020

I don't really buy that the limitations of the platform mean you can't upload your own sound. There's limitations yes - but just specify it - file size, bitrate, sampling rate etc. Then we'll make our custom sounds fit to those constraints.

I personally love the google home forest sounds. I can't find anything like that on the sleep buds. The Rainforest is ok - but sleep buds seem to prioritize full band white noise as a way of masking sound. That's good if you're in a loud environment. But I prefer the gentle sound I get that google has. Wish I could use that.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Stitcher

I like the idea Bose listen.

Surely it would be possible for them to allow you to submit one preferred sound that they could then process through their software to make it appropriate for the buds and simply be added to your library?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

@Stitcher  I’m with you on this. In fact so much so I have already been in touch directly with the Bose Sleepbuds team to present my suggestions, but feel like I’ve had the brush off a bit as they’re not planning to make any changes to user controlled content as they don’t think enough users are interested in that option (apparently they’re not getting any feedback to suggest it’s a feature that is important to enough users to consider). This is why it is so essential that anyone reading this posts their own suggestions here and directly to Bose if you can (they are definitely reading this forum). 

my suggestion, as I realise uploading your own sounds is never going to be something they budge on, was to create a ‘Sleep Sounds Studio’ within the app. I have issues with all the current sounds as they mostly have elements (Bose call them ‘ingredients’) that audibly annoy me when I’m trying to sleep. The idea of the sound studio is that each sound would have an equaliser for its own components that would allow you to set how prominent each ‘ingredient’ is. Say a sound has 5 parts to it, each part would be separately adjustable until you had it just right for you (for Bose to deliver sounds and tell us “they’re fine as they are, we think we did a good job” is disingenuous to their customers and almost reflects a lack of understanding on the issues people have with certain sounds when trying to sleep, yet we know they “get it” or we wouldn’t have this product at all, so there’s hope they really will listen to us if we can all be vocal enough). Once the sound is right, and you’d need to use your own headphones to work on them for the equalising part, you would have the option to ‘export’ your personally equalised sound to a usable sleepbuds sound file (apparently the format is WAV, so can’t be that hard to create the file needed. To be clear, these are not your own sounds, but a personal adjustment on the sounds Bose provides. I think this is a perfect balance between customer experience and Bose maintaining control of the sounds available). All of this is done and saved in the app, at this point there is no issue with memory as the app has no size restrictions. 

To go a bit further with making the sleepbuds a more personal product, I also provided a secondary suggestion. The option to choose the size and length of sleep sounds they have available. At the moment, we can upload around ten sounds, which I assume means the buds must have a maximum capacity of around 3 minutes of sounds. We will all mostly only use one or two sounds, so the current restriction on forcing us to have ten sounds uploaded before we can delete seems an odd one. If we could clear the buds out of all sounds, my suggestion is we have the option to upload a long, medium or short sound loop instead of just the short option we have now. I’d much rather have one three minute sound I cannot hear repeat than ten short sounds, of which I only use two. The user then has the choice to use the product exactly as it is now, or to personalise it more with a range of personally curated sounds. This option would also have the same adjustments as my first suggestion, so we have the chance to have a single, three minute sound that works perfectly for the individual (or whatever the user chooses to do with the software). I made these suggestions as they are purely software changes, nothing in my suggestions would compromise the hardware experience and testing and is within the realms of being easily implemented if Bose took the time to understand the customer experience is not as great as it could be if they worked with us. 

So again, Bose already have my ideas, but dismissed them without other users providing similar feedback. If you’re reading this, then please provide your feedback on my suggestions. I think they’re the only way we can get a product that we have personal control over, which I don’t think is much to ask after paying £230. I find it a lot of money to be told that these are the sounds and that’s it, you’ll have to find one you can use or you should return them. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Following my comment above, I’ve actually started a separate thread to share my suggestions, just in case they get lost in this thread. Please take a look at my post and comment on there.