Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2020

Warm static issue on sleepbuds 2

Hi everyone,

first time posting here, long time sleep bud user and just yesterday got the sleepbuds 2. So far I’m quite impressed with them, but I have one issue and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing it?

I usually use “Warm Static” to get to sleep, but I noticed that when using the Sleepbuds II, warm static isn’t a perfectly round sound like it was on the first generation. 

To me it sounds like there’s a sound “spike” repeating every ten seconds, in guessing around where the audio repeats itself. It’s hard to explain but if you looked at it on a wavelength you’d see an increase in volume for 0.5 seconds before returning to normal, and it sounds almost as if someone is blowing air very quickly into it the buds, before shallowing out again. This repeats every (circa) ten seconds. 

It might not be so noticeable to most ppl but when you do notice it it is super annoying and hard to sleep with!

Is anyone getting the same? Or does anyone know of a fix? Warm static is definitely my go-to sound, but can’t use it like that!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Re: Warm static issue on sleepbuds 2

I’m finding issues with all the sounds to be honest. They are very poorly done and can’t believe they have been tested by real world users who have the issues we do and spot these things more than most. 

I wish there was a proper ‘beta’ forum for us to be in direct contact with the sleepbuds team. I have loads of suggestions that could be implemented with the current hardware, they would just need to be implemented in the app before the sound was uploaded to the sleepbuds. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2020

Yeah I’m surprised too, from the way they marketed it I thought there would be vast improvements on the sounds but I’ve been feeling it’s waaaay too bassy sounding, perhaps this was to increase the noise masking, but it makes them all sound kind of strange. I’ve sent them feedback but no idea if they’ll even read it, they didn’t when I had questions about sleepbuds 1, so not expecting much. But I do genuinely hope they fix some of these sounds. How that volume spike was not picked up on “warm static” is beyond me, it’s so easy to hear! And I’m certain if you could look at the sound wave you would literally see a spike on the wavelength where it cycles, which makes me wonder if no one even checked the roundness continuity of the sound... seems really sloppy! Hoping they do an app/firmware update and fix this. As you say, a direct contact would be great!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

I’m either going mad or hearing things, but I swear I can hear faint music playing on most of the sounds. Like a very distant ice cream van or the push penny machines in the seafront arcades. It’s there in warm static, and rinse and a few others I can’t recall the name of. My files are either corrupted or they’ve added this sound in for some reason and it’s driving me insane once I latch on to it (the absolute opposite of what these buds are supposed to do). 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2020

Yep, 100% the same, I keep hearing weird imperfections in all

the sounds. Like on Crosswind for example, it’s a lovely smooth time for 9.5 seconds but then suddenly it sounds like someone is yelling “ HUH” in the distance and a distant trumpet bugles. It’s the strangest thing and I generally hope they will fix it, but I sent them similar feedback about Rustle on sleepbuds 1, where it sounds like a gorilla is stamping through dry leaves towards the end of the sound cycle and they never fixed it, it’s still the same on sleepbuds 2, so I’m doubting they even bother to read the feedback. Such a shame... was really looking forward to this product. I’ve got the Amazfit Zenbuds coming soon and I’ve heard good feedback about them, will let you know if they don’t have this problem with the sounds!

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

I hate when you can hear indexing in the sound files. And it is a real problem in alot of the files. 

I hope I can’t hear the indexing in Warm Static. That’s my go to. 

One of my favorite files is Rustle, but it is marred by horrendous indexing. Too bad. It’s a great file otherwise. 

I sometimes wonder if anyone took the time to lay down and spend some time trying to take a nap with these files. 

Well, I guess I’ll find out: My set of Sleepbuds II are on charge as I post this. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

Honestly, I think some of what we think of as indexing, was designed into the files as a sort of leveraging of the Highway Hypnosis effect.

But then there are the obvious places where file repeats. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

Back again after a bit of a listen. 

I am not getting any major problems with Warm Static, or any of the old-line files for that matter. 

Rustle, they cleaned up the horrible crunching and indexing cosiderably. I’m pretty happy about that. 

Plus there are alot of fantastic additions across the board, from Noise Masking, to Naturescapes, to Tranquilities. 

I have to say I think that, overall, these files are a vast improvement over the Soundbuds I files. 

The old sounds have been tweaked quite a bit in the right direction, with the trade off being fidelity, that is to say the sounds have been smoothed out with the spikey bits dulled. 

So if your ideal is something that mirrors reality, you may be disappointed. 

But, my first reaction is that these files are much better in terms of helping you get to sleep. 

Whew! I was worried there for a minute. 

So someone actually does listen to thse things afterall. 

These are a hit for me. 

Good Job Bose. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

I went back to listen to Warm Static again, but this time at a higher volume.

I do hear what you are hearing.

It’s a bit of a surge before it settles down again.

It may be because I use very low volumes, but this is not bothering me. 

I can see where it would be a problem for you. 

One thing that I like that they’ve done is to equalize the channels a bit more. With some of the more asymmetrical sound files you’d lose one channel at low volume.

It was cool to have the sound sweeping from one side to the other, at higher volumes, but extremely annoying to lose one whole channel at lower volumes. That’s a fair trade in my book. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2020

Thanks for your replies and tests! Glad they’re working out for you 🙂 

I actually also went back a few days ago with the idea to lower the volume after I noticed when using my Sleepbuds 1 that warm static actually sounded remarkably lower volume than on the Sleepbuds II at the same level on the volume slider. When I did that I noticed I couldn’t really detect the spike, so perhaps the key is just using a lower volume.

if I needed a higher one due to lots of outside noise I’d probably go for Cascade, so far I haven’t found any spikes or problems with that, and it’s round is pretty seemless, same with the new sound Elements, so all in all not too bad! 

My Amazfit Zenbuds I crowdfunded are in the mail so I’m eager to try them and see. People who have received them before seem extremely happy with the sound content, as said I’ll let you guys know here. Even though it’s a Bose site, I’d be happy to see a healthy competitor Enter the sleepbud market so both products can keep improving!