Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 25, 2020

Which Noise Masking Sound is Best to Mask out Low Frequencies? Sleepbud 2's

Hello,

My sleepbud 2's just arrived and I have downloaded most of the available sounds from the "Noise Masking" section on the App. I primary bought the sleep bud 2's to drown out external Low frequencies (I.E. loud car exhausts down the street). Which Sounds from the "Noise Masking" archive are best to drown out lower frequencies? I noticed the "Warm Static" was the most pleasing for me, as I like a constant, smooth noise, but I'm not sure if that will be best for my goals?

Thanks,

Craig  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

Re: Which Noise Masking Sound is Best to Mask out Low Frequencies? Sleepbud 2's

Author Accepted Answer selected by Crouhier

My general go to sound file was Warm Static. I always used it at very low volume, like 1/3 volume, not so much to block sounds but more to smooth them out so there weren’t any harsh spikes waking me up. 

For really loud environments, finding the sound file closest in tone to the distracting noise worked pretty well for me. 

There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to volume in my experience.

Once you’re really cranking the volume, it becomes a battle between environmental noise and the sound coming from the Sleepbuds. 

At least the Sleepbuds sound files are more pleasant to listen to. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Hi Crouhier,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

It's great to hear you are enjoying your new Sleepbud IIs! I find which sound on the Sleepbuds is going to be best for masking particular sounds is very subjective. What works well for one person might not be the best for another person in a similar environment. 

What I always recommend doing is testing out the sounds yourself to see which works best for you. As you've found "Warm Static" to be the most pleasing, it's worth finding a couple of others that have a similar constant, smooth noise that you like and testing them out in turn at night and seeing which one does the trick best!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Crouhier

My general go to sound file was Warm Static. I always used it at very low volume, like 1/3 volume, not so much to block sounds but more to smooth them out so there weren’t any harsh spikes waking me up. 

For really loud environments, finding the sound file closest in tone to the distracting noise worked pretty well for me. 

There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to volume in my experience.

Once you’re really cranking the volume, it becomes a battle between environmental noise and the sound coming from the Sleepbuds. 

At least the Sleepbuds sound files are more pleasant to listen to. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 25, 2020

Thanks for the responses guys. Here is my feedback now after several days of use.

By far my favorite sound is “warm static”, as it provides a seamless white noise that does a very good job at masking seemingly all ambient annoying noise (traffic noise such as loud car exhausts, noisy people in adjacent hotel rooms, etc.)  none of the other sounds work for me, because they are either not white noise or I can detect a “loop” or “change in frequency” in them. Maybe Bose will Add an update for more true white noise Options, but so far I’m very pleased with “warm static”.

I will continue evaluating as I have a particularly annoying neighbor with a super loud exhaust that starts up early every morning,  but so far these to be doing the trick. They work much better than ear plugs and a standard white noise machine because they isolate your ear. I do however wish that we could turn the volume up higher. In my opinion it does not get loud enough, especially for situations where you may be awake and want it very loud for extra focus.

so far so good. I will report back when I have more time at home to evaluate their efficacy there. I welcome anyone to share their experiences!!