Highlighted
jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

annoying hum/buzz after a few hours

My Sleepbuds seem to have developed a new problem.  Unfortunately this one seems like dealbreaker.  I'm not really expecting an answer here, but posting in hopes of hearing from someone else having the same problem.

Everything is fine when I first turn them on and go to sleep.  Hours later, if I wake up during the night, there's a noticeable hum/buzz sound in addtion to the selected Bose track.  I'd call it a hum, although it has a definite pitch.  It isn't loud, but it's enough to be annoying and there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of it.  Resetting the buds (using the charging case), or restarting the app. Increasing the volume also increase the hum, rather than masking it.  The tone is present on all sounds but some are better at masking it than others. However, the sounds that work for me - Cascade and Warm Static - don't mask the hum.  The problem seems to get worse over time; by early morning it's so loud that I have to give up and remove the buds.

The next day, I verify that the hum is still there, then put them in the charger. After a few hours of charging I try them again and the hum is gone.

I'm a bit puzzled about why I didn't notice this for the first month of using the Sleepbuds; maybe it wasn't there.  I considered RF interference as the source, but moving around the house or shutting off the phone makes no difference.  At this point I'm out of ideas and can't use the Sleepbuds because I know I'll have to remove them sometime during the night.   I plan to stop at the local Bose store and see if they have any ideas.  

38 REPLIES 38

Re: annoying hum/buzz after a few hours

Hi jimh12345,

Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening, but you have done everything I would have suggested.

Instead of going to the store, I would suggest contacting the Sleepbuds team at 1-800-905-1273.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hendo57
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

I have had exactly the same experience. Had the sleepbuds 2 days and first night experienced this issue and had to take them out. I was also left with like a high-pitched sound ringing in my ears all day a bit like you get after being at a night club with very loud music. The sound level was well below maximum. Some of the sounds are irritating as are synthesized especially the fire.

Looking to return especially given the noise that appears as the charge level drops, this has to be a fault.

Hi Hendo57,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear about that. I would definitely recommend that you reach out to our Sleepbuds support team using the contact information provided by @Joel_D.

Regards,

Tony G

Hendo57
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

Hi

Do you have a UK contact number?

Hi Hendo57,

Thanks for responding. Here is a link to support in the UK.

Regards,

Tony G

jimh12345
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

The manager at the store was quite willing to swap my pair for a new one; unfortunately the problem is still there. As a former engineer, I speculate it could be crosstalk from an activel voltage regulator as the battery discharges, but that's just an uninformed guess. The pitch is constant, and if there were only some way to use an EQ or filter to notch it out, things would be great.
Hendo57
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

Tried getting support in th uk for this problem. Sent 2 emails. Managed to get an automated response saying someone will be in touch within 24 hours. Nothing materialised so phoned the technical support number. This is a call centre with very limited technical knowledge. Managed to agree i would be sent an email confirming the incident report details within the hour so I can return to retailer and get a refund. Its now 24hrs later and nothing. So will phone again and no doubt spend another half hour or more having to explain all over again even though i have an incident reference number. Still no response to my original email either. Great customer service...not.

Duckle01
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 18, 2018

Exactly the same problem here too. Got 3 good nights from them, but now I can't use them.

I have tried resetting the sleepbuds in the case, and paired them both Android and iOS devices, but nothing helps and the problem gets worse through the night (waking me up at around 4AM). "Cascade" seems to be about the worst impacted sound, but it's present on just about everything and adds a terrible artificial quality (like a really lossy/low-rate mp3) to all wave-based sounds.

I have tried to record the sound, but it's not easy to hear on recording. Other descriptions above all cover it well though. Such a shame as they performed impressively when I first got them (first couple of nights).

I guess I will go down the route of trying a replacement pair via the retailer. Maybe that helps for some, but reading the above posts, it looks like the start of an unsatisfactory journey, unacknowledged by Bose.

Has anyone had a replacement pair where the problem is fixed?

Bose, if you are reading this, is there a known fault or a fix on the way?

Ignatzio
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2019

I have the same problem. This sound appeared in the first time that i used them.
It hear lowder in the left bud. Not even desconnected from the app this sound goes away.
Unlucky me i lived in argentina and i spent 300 usd for this earbuds. I think that i am one of the first one in argentina. I bought them in Australia. I hope Bose help me with this incident.