Highlighted
r91085
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

Re: totally turn off bluetooth function

Base on Bose's reply , theoretically it is possible that Sleepbuds already disabled the bluetooth function after falling into phone free mode.

Using EMF/RF meter to test is just for confirmming. On logic we only can say it make sense Sleepbuds totally disable  bluetooth function under phone free mode in current design. But the test result from meter is base on fact . The result is what I care about finally. The reply from Bose is to make all things sounds resonable.

If you trust Bose a lot , I think you could just forget this issue and enjoy your Sleepbuds. If you are cautious , mabye you could buy a meter to double check. The meters can test all electronic product .I think it is worth investing.

Just for your reference.

cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

The key is what happens after the 10 minute mark when in phone free mode. That’s what I’d like to see tested with a meter.
Gray41
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

The important part of Bose's reply is:

Over the entire night, Sleepbuds™ emit a fraction of what traditional Bluetooth® headsets emit during a single phone call.

They don't say there are no transmissions and so I can only assume that there are SOME transmissions, a fraction of normal Bluetooth transmissions maybe, but still some transmissions. If this isn't the case, Bose, please say it in simple terms like "Over the entire night, Sleepbuds™ emit no transmissions".

If you can't confirm this then we must assume there are some transmissions and each of us needs to decide if we're happy with this situation all night, every night.
cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

In fairness I believe that is standard marketing that was written prior to phone free mode being available. I have tested phone free mode. The buds are visible through bluetooth for 10 minutes then become invisible and keep playing. You can not reconnect them until they are put back into the case. In theory there is no reason for them to keep emitting a signal and it would shorten battery life so there is a chance they go completely dark in this mode. Would be good to confirm it though.
Gray41
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

So Bose, it's very simple,please just answer this question...

In phone free mode, if we take the buds out of the case and leave them on the table for 10 minutes (or 15 minutes to be certain) and then put them in our ears, will this mean absolutely no rf or wireless transmission of any kind will come the buds until they are returned to the case?

A simple "yes" will end this conversation positively and we'll be happy. If it's anything else, I feel that it also ends the conversation but you'll have lost my purchase.

Hello Gray41,

The Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) antenna shuts off after 10 minutes after the sleepbuds are removed from the case, assuming they are already set to phone-free mode. There are no other wireless antennas or protocols used in the sleepbuds. The only other thing they transmit would be audio (masking sounds).

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Gray41
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Thanks Jeff_G. At last a straight answer to the question and it would seem to be what we all wanted to hear, absolutely no wireless transmissions in phone free mode after being out of the case for 10 minutes.

This answers my safety concerns and so I'll now consider trialling and buying.

I just wish this clear and positive statement had been made a month ago when this all kicked off.