500+700 Group speakers can't play music all.

Friendly Fanatic

500+700 Group speakers can't play music all.

I have a Bose Home Speaker 500 and Soundbar 700.  I have successfully grouped the speakers using the Bose App over my Google WiFi powered router but when I choose to Play All, the sound can only be heard on the 700.  The 500 happily shows I'm listening to Spotify and displays the album artwork, but no audio can be heard.  I've tried unplugging, but same result.

If I master from the 500 to the 700 then I get no audio at all.  

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager

Re: 500+700 Group speakers can't play music all.

Hi Comfuzed

Thanks for posting in the Community!  Sorry to hear about the grouping issues, but would be happy to help!

• When the problems happen, is it limited to just Spotify or on all sources like TuneIn or Bluetooth?
  • When the systems are grouped, did the volumes default to 0?
  • Has the mesh network been reset at all?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Friendly Fanatic

I pretty much only use Sportify on the 500,.  I hadn't tried Bluetooth before so I gave it a go and it seems you can't group speakers when playing through Bluetooth - at least for me the option was disabled in the app.  That action confused the 500 (seemed to hang and wouldn't switch back to Spotify) to the point that I had to power it off.  When I turned it back on, the speaker grouping worked perfectly and music palyed.  Hurrah I thought.

Next day, I get home from work, so both speakers have been asleep. I fire up the Spotify App and play a song to the 500. Switching to the Bose App I group the speakers.  Again, music plays on the 700 and the 500 goes quiet simply displaying the cover art.  Volume is not at 0. I rebooted the 500 and grouped the speakers again, but this time the Bose App hung.  After killing the Bose App and starting it again I re-group the speakers and hey presto it works. 

#Flakey

Community Manager

Hi Comfuzed

Thanks for the update, this certainly helps!

To confirm, if you start Spotify in the Bose Music app instead of using Spotify Connect, does it work consistently?  That's very strange that you were not able to group the systems with a Bluetooth source.  

I'm going to reach out to you via PM to gather a bit more information and see if we can have this escalated to our development team.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Silent Starter

Hi,

I am having the same problems about grouping Home 500 and soundbar 700 and 700 sub,

i  get sound but when start the system up the grouping is gone? when i try to Group the app goes so far then freezes ?

Also why do i get a delay on home 500 only when playing through TV,,  and not Music?

HELP

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

I got around this problem by turning off - at the wall - the 500 and the 700.  After a period of time I turned them back on and everything worked well.  Haven't had a problem since. 

Community Manager

Hi BuckHug,

Thanks for writing in! 

Regarding the missing group option, is there a stream playing on the first speaker?  The option is greyed out unless there is something play on one of the speakers.

Regarding the delay while watching a video source, this is normal operation.  What happens is the audio from the soundbar needs to get sent through the router then to speaker(s) in the group.  I will be sure to pass your feedback along to our development team. 

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Animated Arbiter

I have just purchased a Home Speaker 500 to go with my Soundbar 700 / sub setup.  I am having a similar problem.  If I set play all group from the Soundbar 700 I get music on the Soundbar 700, album art and silence on the Home Speaker 500.  If I set play all on the Home Speaker 500, I get music and album art on the Home Speaker 500 and silence on the Soundbar 700.

Volumes are set correctly and there is no issue playing music individually but this kind of defeats the point of my purchase.  This is happening with Spotify and TuneIn.  The app is showing the speakers as paired.

Steps taken:

Power cycle router

Power cycle both speakers

Reboot phone / Bose music app

The power was turned off at the wall for at lest 10 mins for the speakers.  Any assistance appreciated.

Animated Arbiter

Factory reset on the Home Speaker 500 seems to have resolved.

Quiet Contributor

Quick question on grouping

I have soundbar 700, subwoofer 700 and surround. I’ve just got home speaker 500.

I want it grouped for playing music but not movies. Is that an option or the behaviour?