Highlighted
MusicMutant
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

Re: Apple Music & Airplay 2 on Bose 500

lol... I'm dead sure they are working on that promise...The only reason I bought the device was well publisized Airplay 2 functionality... yes getting frustrated it's still not active, but Bose is good brand and been around since ages... So let's wait till march

BSoko
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 29, 2019

Are you saying that the SoundTouch lineup will not have access to Airplay 2 the same time as your new smarthome lineup? A bit of a slap in the face to those such as myself who went out and bought several SoundTouch products when Apple announced in June 2017 that Bose would be compatible with Airplay 2.
MusicMutant
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

I'm not from Bose ! you are asking the wrong person, I'm just a customer like you...But if I recollect, Soundtouch products were never advertised to have airplay (I might be wrong, but I haven't seen the company claiming airplay support for soundtouch products of 2017...before buying the Home speaker I did my own research & that's why I'm positive bout this)

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@MusicMutant wrote:

I'm not from Bose ! you are asking the wrong person, I'm just a customer like you...But if I recollect, Soundtouch products were never advertised to have airplay (I might be wrong, but I haven't seen the company claiming airplay support for soundtouch products of 2017...before buying the Home speaker I did my own research & that's why I'm positive bout this)

Airplay v1 was available on SoundTouch series 1. The standard was dropped from Bose products in years subsequent for a variety of reasons. Airplay v1 worked poorly on non Apple products in my experience. Apple is now licensing Airplay 2 much more aggressively and I am sure Bose will be implementing the standard in due course.

I am also sure this is not an easy thing to do. Just check out the technical videos from the Apple Developers Conferences, make your eyes gloss over. I dare say Bose is being very careful in the rollout. Airplay v 1 wasn’t great for Bose and look at all the problems with other standards like ARC. ARC sucks on a variety of product lines not just Bose. Better to take their time and get it right than rush to market. 

Airplay 2 is also not to be confused with Apple Music. The latter is showing up in other platforms now, never thought I would see that. Who knows what Bose and Apple have planned for Airplay 2 and Apple Music on Bose products. I suspect however,  getting a license for Apple Music is going to a tall order on any speaker company.

I also agree, Bose has never misrepresented what standards they will or will not carry. I haven’t seen Airplay on a Bose box for a few years now. iTunes yes, but not Airplay. Also Bose never advertised VTuner as their internet radio platform. So yes research, research, research, before buying anything nowadays. I know I do, probably to a fault, but at least no disappointments. 

I would also also like to add, other speaker manufacturers have a lot of different streaming services they offer. That is nice. I still think the Bose systems sound the best for my money. Sure, there is a narrow field of streaming services offered on Bose products, but isn’t it about the sound?

wth_wth
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 16, 2019

Ok it's March.

What gives Bose.... where is Airplay2?

I have three 500's, one Soundbar700 and a woofer and I'm more than a little annoyed now that I still can't use something that is the second or third feature touted in all promotional materials.

PaulG
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2019

So now 23 March so not quite sure what early is in Bose Calendar... keeping fingers crossed as this was a deciding factor in choosing Bose over Sonos
Rarias
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hi, what does "early 2019" actually means? Because Sonos or HomePod are looking like the options to take right now for iOS users.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Tony_A wrote:

Hi Bosemutant,

Thanks for writing in!

I can't speak to the Apple Music portion, however, I can tell you that Airplay 2 is coming in 2019 to our Smart Home speakers.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Hi Tony: I am sure this is quite obvious to the Bose marketing and development team however I would like to reiterate the suggestion that not only Airplay be integrated into Bose Smart Home systems but also Apple Music. Apple has been busy with their expansion of services and appear to be making more available core programs like iTunes and Apple Music.

Apple has seen fit to not only release Airplay to TV sets but TV and Movie content via iTunes. The same would be a great addition to Bose speakers...Airplay and music content over Apple Music.

Airplay 2 will be a great (re)addition to the Bose platform but Apple Music would make the Bose smart home product line second to none.

antonydurdin@hotmail.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Come on Bose community, we have now left Q1 behind and still the same vague platitude responses. Can someone please walk into the Dev team’s office, open up the project plan or development backlog and just give us a bloody date for Airplay2.....Alexa has managed to sort out Apple Music to make that available in the UK but you still can’t update beyond “soon”......!