KelseyUSM
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Bose 700 Soundbar remote says paired but doesn’t work

We just bought the 700 Soundbar and Sub yesterday. We set it up with our Samsung 82” QLED and watched a movie with it no problem. Sound was great. Remote worked great. Then I linked it to my iPhone X and played music no problem. BUT when I tried to switch back to the tv, I ran into a host of problems.

First, when I clicked the TV button on the remote, it wouldn’t switch off of my phone’s Bluetooth connection. The only way I got it to play sound from my TV again was to turn the TV off and on.

Second, my remote stopped working completely. It’s like the act of trying to switch back to TV irreparably messed up my remote. Now I can’t use the remote to change the volume or anything (regardless of the sound input source). It lights up. I’ve changed the batteries. I’ve unpaired it and then paired it as if it were a brand new remote. My app say the remote is paired to my Soundbar, but the remote won’t control anything on the Soundbar (regardless of the sound input source).

I cleared all the Bluetooth connected devices (my phone was the only one listed) but am still having both of these issues where I can’t use my remote and I can’t switch between audio input sources without turning my tv off then on again.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!
Kelsey

P.S. Are the developers still trying to fix the remote sensitivity and backlight issues? I can’t find a rhyme or reason as to what movement or touch actually “wakes up” my remote. Shaking it, turning it, grabbing it, lifting it, pressing a button on it—each of these *sometimes* works but most of the time none of them do. It truly seems like this remote has a mind of its own as far as what makes the light come on.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Bose 700 Soundbar remote says paired but doesn’t work

Hi KelseyUSM.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on the Community for help!

Can we try and factory default the system to see if we can get the remote to start with a fresh pairing?  To default the system, follow these steps:

• Remove the product from your Bose account.
  • On the remote, simultaneously press and hold the Power and Skip forward buttons for 5 seconds. The soundbar reboots and, when complete, the light bar glows solid amber.

Once you complete these steps, the Soundbar 700 should lose the pairing with the remote.  From here, please follow these steps to clear the remote memory to start a fresh connection:

• On the remote, press and hold the Volume Down and Left Navigation buttons for five seconds to clear the remote's pairing list.
  • From complete initial setup to re-pair the remote to see if we still run into this issue with the TV remote programming.  

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Highlighted
KelseyUSM
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2018

Thanks Tony. I followed these instructions. I never saw the sound bar light turn amber, but I think that’s because the remote was already unpaired. I then cleared the remote’s memory. I set it back up again and everything worked great for watching tv with the speakers. I was kind of scared to play music through the Bose app and then have to do this all over again, so I tried something new—I connected via Bluetooth directly to my tv and played music through the tv. The music came through my Bose speakers (they remained connected to my tv the whole time) and sounded great. Then I switched from music back to tv programming, and the speakers stayed connected to the tv the entire time no problem. So while it’s not a solution to using music on the Bose app (which is what caused the remote to crash when I tried to switch back to tv), but it is a solution to listening to music and watching tv without having a crash when switching between the two. Thanks again!

P.S. I still hope the developers will work on the remote’s issues—I can’t get the lights to stay on no matter what I do, so I just gave up on using it althogether 🤷🏼‍♀️
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi KelseyUSM,

Thanks for the update!  

The LED bar may not go amber if it's connected to the network with an ethernet cable.  In regards to the remote backlight, we do have a ticket in with our development team regarding the backlight timer of the remote.  As soon as we hear anything, we'll be sure to update the Community.

Warm Regards,

Tony A