1068tony
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 18, 2018

Bose 700 connection with Sky Q not receving Dolby

Hi

I have my bose 700 connected to my Samsung UE55HU8200T via HDMI arc slot 4 and my Sky Q connected to the tv via HDMI slot 1(STB), when I try and select Dolby on the Sky Q audio settings I lose sound (can only sellect normal), when also trying to change on the tv settings I'm only able to sellect PCM or DTS 2:5 both Dolby and DTS is greyed out. 

The only way I receive Dolby is if I connect Optical from my tv to the bose and watch Netflix through the tv then Dolby is selected.

Any help that you could give would be very appreciated.

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose 700 connection with Sky Q not receving Dolby

Author Accepted Answer selected by 1068tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the question!

It sounds like your TV won't send Dolby Digital or DD Plus via the HDMI ARC connection.  Are you able to use the optical connection instead?  It's the same audio quality as HDMI would be, so you're not sacrificing anything for using it.

Let us know so we can get this resolved for you!

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

6 REPLIES 6

Author Accepted Answer selected by 1068tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the question!

It sounds like your TV won't send Dolby Digital or DD Plus via the HDMI ARC connection.  Are you able to use the optical connection instead?  It's the same audio quality as HDMI would be, so you're not sacrificing anything for using it.

Let us know so we can get this resolved for you!

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

DanEllisUK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

Hi @Brandon_M

This is another example of where it would be useful for the Bose Soundbar to show what audio format is being received from the TV.   It doesn't have to be displayed anywhere obvious, but hidden away in the technical info page would suffice.   I'm sure it would help your customer service team diagnose surround issues, and also help Bose customers understand how their TV changes audio formats depending on the input source.   It is becoming very clear that many TV's (especially Samsung) do not pass through dolby digital from HDMI sources.   I'm still holding off from buying the Bose Surround Speakers and a new TV because of this.

So I would like to ask again for this to be raised with your dev team, many thanks.

1068tony
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 18, 2018

Hi Brandon

Thanks for the infomation.

Since found out that the Samsung dont allow Dolby pass through, slightly annoyed so thinking of purchasing a new TV for the latest tech to acheive the best package i can.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi again Tony,

Thanks for reporting your findings!  Just a word of warning that purchasing a new TV may not resolve the issue, as Dolby output may be limited due to either copyright limitations or the Dolby encoding chip in the television.  

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Best Regards,

Brandon

DanEllisUK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

@Brandon_M  Do you know something we don't?  I'm getting rather skeptical about this.

You say "Limited due to copyright limitations".   Let's break that down.   This would be an artificial limitation due Copyright, so we are talking about DRM.  If this is a DRM limitation, then this would affect all TV's, and would be a limitation based on the device sending the HDMI / HDCP signal.    So can we confirm if the SKY Q box is doing this?   Does anyone else have surround sound with a Sky Q box?

Next, "due to the Dolby Encoding chip in the television".  This problem would be on a per TV basis, so in this case it is important to ask the TV manufactor before purchasing the TV.

But then if we have doubts that it is actually working, we are then back to the problem of not being sure which type of audio stream the Bose device is receiving.   The Bose app does not display the stream type anywhere.   So we are left clueless.

This is incredibly frustrating.   I had an excellent surround sound setup back in 1997 and it was simple, although this was using Dolby Pro-logic, it still sounded great.   Now 20 years on and I can't get the most basic 5.1 surround sound setup.  Or even be sure if it will work after throwing another couple of grand at a new TV?   This is ridiculous.

Highlighted

Hi DanEllisUK,

Thanks for the post.  I certainly understand your frustration.

I've worked for Bose for several years, and TVs not outputting Dolby formats via HDMI (or optical) is nothing new.  As well, from what I've seen, it is not linked with the price or brand of the television.  For instance, I have a 46" RCA 1080p TV that I purchased on sale back in 2010 that outputs Dolby 5.1 via the optical connection.  My colleague, however, has a 65" Sharp Aquos that was roughly $2,000 USD brand new and it will only output PCM 2.0 via optical or HDMI ARC.  I know these examples are purely anecdotal, but it perfectly displays what I've seen during my career here.

I'll submit another request to have audio format added to the Bose Music app on your behalf.

Best,

Brandon