steve04KU
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2019

Bose Bass Module 700 “popping” / “fluttering”

Spoiler

I have a 2-week old Bose 700 soundbar setup. Complete with sub and rear surrounds. 

Occasionally my bass module 700 (acoustimass 300) makes a popping/fluttering sound. Almost like it has bottomed out. 

My setup in the the living room is approximately 30’ (through walls) to my Orbi Router. It’s approx. 20’ to my Orbi Satellite. The other devices within 10’ of the soundbar setup are: TV, fire tv stick, and chromecast. 

The wifi settings are 100% 2.4ghz (auto channel). The 5ghz is 100% (channel 48). The TV is set to bitstream/Dolby digital. Soundbar is connected via an optical cable. 

I have read on older Acoustimass 300s that this is a known and very frustrating problem. I would expect a 700 dollar piece of equipment to not have an issue with WiFi interference. 

Moving my router isn’t an option. Hard wiring isn’t an option, as my soundbar sits on a mantle above my fireplace and tv is wall mounted. I have also done a factory reset of the system and still get the pop/flutter (Mostly when watching Netflix). 

I need a solution. 

Thanks,

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Bose Bass Module 700 “popping” / “fluttering”

Hello steve04KU,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

We're sorry to see you're running into this audio issue with your Bass Module 700, but we'd be happy to help.

Is this happening during watching shows with massive bass hits or just in general?

Does this happen when listening to music as well through the Bose Music app?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

steve04KU
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2019

The pops/flutters happen randomly. Sometimes on DirecTV, sometimes on Netflix. I haven't noticed it happening while listening to music, but then again the majority of the time I'm watching satellite TV or Netflix.

I am considering moving my Orbi Satellite and sitting it next to the sub, or perhaps even adding another satellite to my household so to eliminate distance/interference issues.

This is a 200 dollar gamble for me...

Hello steve04KU,

We wouldn't suggest moving the Orbi Satellite right next to the sub, since this may make things worse due to close range interference.

I mean you can certainly try this to see if this improves anything. 

Let us know what the results are.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

steve04KU
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2019

So, are you admitting this is wifi interference? If so, how do I get rid of it? There's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with this setup... Yet, this is becoming a known, common problem with your Bass Module 700 (Acoustimass 300) product...

Hi steve04KU,

I apologize for the confusion.

We usually don't recommend putting a router or access point right next to the bass module since it relies on a wireless signal to communicate to the Soundbar and could cause interference.

You can certainly test this and see if it helps. I'm just trying to determine if this is happening due to a speaker issue or if it's interference related. Can you try testing the internal source of music through the Bose Music app and see if it continues to happen?

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

steve04KU
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2019

I will try this with Amazon Music. Will report back soon.... Thanks!

steve04KU
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2019

I listened to Amazon Music through the sound bar for about 30 minutes and didn't hear any popping.

This week I have been watching programs on Netflix and Prime Video (running Apps from my Samsung TV) and have gotten intermittent popping/fluttering. I also occasionally get the popping from DirecTV.

Community Manager

Hi steve04KU,

Thanks for the update!  

It sounds like it could be the TV causing this particular issue if it isn't happening on a streaming source.  

Is it possible to reboot the TV by disconnecting power for 30 seconds with the soundbar? 

If this does not correct the issue, can we test by connecting an optical cable directly to the DirecTV box to see if this is the case?  You would want to disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV and soundbar as well.  

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Ld777
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Was there a fix to this? I just picked up the 700 soundbar, 700 Base module and the surround speakers and mine is doing the same thing? The sound otherwise is phenomenal. Was this supposed to come with a 3.5mm double male cable to wire the sub to the soundbar? I thought I seen a different post where that resolved the issue. I've already tried moving the sub and the issue is still ongoing. I've got 27days left on my return window and hate to do it but I cannot pay $700 for a problematic sub. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note this has only happened on movies where the base sounds perfect. I'm running a new netgear orbi Mesh 2200 setup and can't change it up as it's perfect with all my other devices.