Ziweth
Participant
Registered since

Aug 3, 2020

Bose Home Speaker 500 difference between Amazon Music and Bose Music apps

I would appreciate if somebody from Bose responds to these questions.

When selecting music with the Amazon app, it shows the HD indicator in the albums, but the Bose app doesn't.  Honestly, I cannot perceive the difference in the sound, and it can be one of 3 things:

- The speaker is always playing HD, when available.

- The speaker is always playing SD because a limitation in the actual speaker.

- The speaker plays HD and SD with the Amazon and Bose apps respectively, and I just don't have the hearing to perceive the difference.

I would appreciate if somebody from Bose could answer these questions:

- Is there actually a difference, in terms of playing HD/SD, between the Amazon and Bose apps?

- Is the Bose Home Speaker 500 capable of playing Amazon HD?

Thanks,

Ziweth

1 REPLY 1
Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 difference between Amazon Music and Bose Music apps

High resolution or high definition music is defined as above CD quality.  CD quality is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz.  To listen to high resolution music, you need a DAC (digital to analog converter) that can decode and play above 16/44.1.  While Bose does not tell us the capability of any of their DAC's, as far as I know, no Bose device is capable.  You are probably wasting your money paying for Amazon High Def playing through Bose.  For several years, I have been trying to find out what DAC's Bose uses but have been unsuccessful.  I use my Soundtouch 300 and it sounds good, but if I want to listen to real high definition from Tidal and Qobuz, I use a Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier and Aeon headphones.

Also, Airplay, Bluetooth, and Apple TV will not transmit high resolution music.  That said, there may be some new forms of Bluetooth that will, IDK.