sammyboy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 stuck on update

hi - i've just purchased new a sounbar 500 and sub... got it home - unboxed - great cant wait to annoy the neighbours!

5 hours later still trying to get it running - first the soundbar itself went into update mode for about an hour... then my phone app [bose music] is now stuck saying updating speaker... the soundbar has no white light bouncing left to right just the mic light showing red. ive not been able to get that far to set up any music, alexa yet. i have got the soundbar working fine with the tv / virgin [thank you finally btw for fixing the remote compatibility!!!] BUT to connect the sub or do anything you need the app to free itself up from the **bleep** update... i have a 250mb connection with wifi a bit slower of course at about 30-40mb atm [its busy] so its not slow at my end. i can guess why - if you have a product just out and everyone and his dog has to log on for an update at christmas your servers are going to be vastly overloaded. as an educated guess.

ive uninstalled the app, rebooted my fone, unplugged stuff, rebooted spun around 3 times and shoved a tickling stick up my ar*** and still it just sits looking at me grinning.. updating speaker... joy.. or not as it seems...

have any magic beans i can sprinkle over it?

yours beggingly... 

bt40207
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

I have the same issue - stuck in update mode with left to right LED light bar streaming.  What's odd is that the Bose Music app recognizes the speaker but can't  do anything with it.  Is there a hard reset other than the "AUX - Vol. Down" method?

Best43
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

Exactly same issue here....unplugged both it and router...both next to each other....been days....we have very good hi speed wireless internet.  It’s ridiculous.   And it’s not possible to do the hard reset.....nothing happens at all when you hold down those buttons together for 10 seconds plus.   So what other options to reset or shutdown the speaker???

Highlighted
MusicMutant
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

iReally hope Bose fixes this "updating speaker" bug before the next update becomes available to public...seems to be a bug across all the 3 new products! if not fixed, the business of home speakers will shift to iHome products

zipaganrendez
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 23, 2018

Hello. I already called them and told them about the issue and they will send me a replacement.
Schalktheron
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Also stuck.white bar in to.out. Bought in USA live in South Africa..plz help
Schalktheron
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Same here. How did you fix it?
zipaganrendez
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 23, 2018

Just call technical support and tell them your story. They will assist you on how to setup it. If no luck, they will ask for the serial number which you can find at the bottom of the unit, and they will replace it to a new one. I got mine for replacement. They will send you a pdf file that you can attach to the original package of the speaker that you bought when you send it for replacement. You don’t have to pay anything. Call them so they can instruct you more. Hope this helps
zuschlagzd
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 27, 2019

Stuck on update was happening to me too.  I factory reset (Volume -  plus Aux for 10 secs), moved to an area with better wifi signal, deleted then redownloaded the app, and it resolved the problem.  Sounds like others have done the same without success, but it worked for me.