Cuto503
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Bose Soundbar 700 get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound through Bluetooth?????????

Hello, Can I get surround sound Dolby Digital surround sound 5.1 thru Bluetooth? Or I need to connect it to optical? Thanks

I have the whole system which include sub and 2 rears and connection thru bluetooth from my Apple TV 4K. It sound great, I just want to know are those Dolby sound or just normal or degraded sound, because I do not want to miss out the best sound since I payed lot of money for it. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound through Bluetooth?????????

Hi Cuto503,

Thanks for the question!

You will need to use an Optical connection in order to get Dolby Digital surround sound.  Bluetooth is not able to transmit 5.1 audio, only 2.0 stereo.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Cuto503
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound through Bluetooth?????????

Thank you for the reply, I currently connected to my Apple TV 4K, and unfortunely Apple TV 4K doesn't has Optical port, and my Sony 4K projector doesn't has optical port neither, what other option do I have if I want Dolby digital for my Bose Soundbar 700? Greatly appreciate your help. 

Community Manager

Hi Cuto503,

Thanks for the reply.  My best recommendation is to look into an HDMI switcher with a digital audio out.  This way you can connect multiple HDMI sources to the switch box and connect it to the projector.  From here, you can connect the optical output of the switch to the soundbar directly.  We don't recommend a particular brand, but perhaps there are other users out there that can recommend something they've tested and confirmed.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
Tonya20a
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Hi,

you have 2 options: 

1. You are lucky and you have two hdmi ports on your Sony and one of them is giving audio return (HDMI ARC). This case you just plug your Soundbar with hdmi into the Sony projector (might be tricky as I guess they are distant...)

2. You are less lucky and you need to buy a hdmi splitter. Make sure it supports the needed copy protection as you have a 4k system and that it makes audio as well. Typically they do. This case you connect Apple TV to the splitter and the splitter to the projector and the soundbar... 

Make sure Apple TV outputs bitstream audio to be sure you hear what you want and have the Bose unit making the decode...

T.