mlevant1965
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 with SamsungTV UN55NU8500: HDMI ARC issue

Hi there. 

So I am having the same trouble with the Soundbar 700.  We have a Samsung 65 inch which has 4 hdmi inputs in a separate connector that plugs in the back of the tv. 

I have the cable box HDMI in slot 1 and I have the sound bar in the ARC in HDMI 4. I did have PlayStation 3 plugged in HDMI 3, But I disconnected it.

On the ARC source on the tv, I’m getting the Bose logo with the ad to download the app, which I did.

I change back to my cable input.

The sound bar works with the music icon on the universal remote, but when on tap the tv icon, cable sound just comes from the tv.

I changed my tv settings to turn tv speaker off and set to hdmi receiver on, when I click the  tv button...no speaker sound. All of the sudden, now I’m not getting the hdmi receiver selection on my tv. Uggh any help would so be appreciated

Highlighted

Hello mlevant1965! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties, but am glad to assist. Let's see if adjusting the HDMI-CEC settings to "Alternate" helps with the following steps:

1. In the Bose Music app, tap the headphone and speaker icon in the upper-left corner to access the My Bose screen.
  2. Tap the image of the soundbar shown in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Scroll down to the Power section then select Advanced CEC.
  5. To change the current setting, select the empty circle next to the preferred option.
    • On: Enables CEC
    • Off: Disables CEC
    • Alternate: Prevents unintended source switching and may fix CEC operation issues among connected devices
  6. To exit the Settings screen, tap the icon in the upper-left corner twice.

Let us know if this helps!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Pjstu3
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 11, 2019

Hi All,

Just throwing in my complaints too.
Same issue with the Samsung UE55MU7000 Tv with the Bose Soundbar 700.
No audio when connected via HDMI 4 (arc). Eventually the TV detected the soundbar and allowed HDMI Receiver, but only after unplugging the whole setup. Normally there’s an Apple TV gen 5 on the first port, but disconnecting that changed nothing.
No software update for the TV available and the 700 did it’s 20 minute update when it was taken out of the box.

Spotify connect works fine.

Did anyone get this working with the TV? After an hour and a half I’ve given up and am off to get a beer; but would love some good news!

Cheers,

Phil
jamescunha
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 31, 2018

Yeah... I don’t know what to say. Mine is working fine since I removed the PS3 from the TV. I even bought the rear speakers and the sub. Amazing sound to watch movies. Only my neighbors are complaining now.

Hello Pjstu3! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty as well! It sounds like you may need to set your TV's internal speakers to "Off".  You can also try setting the CEC to "Alternate" in the Bose Music app. If you are still experiencing problems then the best solution would be to connect to your TV using the optical cable. 

Hope this helps as much as the beer! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Pjstu3
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 11, 2019

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Turns out the beers probably helped (as they fix most IT problems).

Got it working by powering off all devices (no plug in the wall, as 'turning off' the Samsng TV via remote didn't solve it) giving it a good 30 count, and powering it all back up at the same time.

Looks like the first power off I did...it needs more than one? I guess persistance is the key here.

After the power up the TV now saw the Bose Soundbar 700 (name and everything) as a HDMI device (before it just said HDMI 4). It was now also listed as HDMI Receiver and everything is now working fine.

HDMI 1 - Apple TV (5th Gen)

HDMI 2 - Xbox One (first version)

HDMI 4 - Bose 700

All in all I believe the issue was on the Samsung side, seems the OS is a big buggy when discovering new connected devices. No surprise there.

Only remaining issue is the Universal Remote doesn't turn off the TV. Removed and added it a few times, tired saying "no that didn't work" so that it (maybe?) tried a different combination, no joy. Perhaps Samsung uses one code for Power On and one for Power Off.

Is there a way to manually change the codes? Couldn't see it in the app.

All in all, can't complain though! Sounds good and I'm seriously thinking about the Base Module. Ahhh the poor neighbors...

Thanks again!

Regards,

Phil

jamescunha
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 31, 2018

Tbh I very rarely use the Bose remote. With the Samsung remote I can do all I need: I turn on the tv (sound bar also turns on), change volume (affecting the sound bar volume) and turn off the tv (and sound bar goes off as well). And between us, the Bose remote is huge and heavy.. terrible in my opinion, the back light is a mess, it turns off real quick and you have to flip the remote to turn the back light on again and see the keys
reg549
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 3, 2019

Had same problem with fairly new Samsung 65".
After many hours of frustration ran Optical cable and changed sound source on TV, it works...give it a try.
sudewa
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2019

I have the same issue with a samsung 55 inch TV. Restarting the TV sorted the issue. 

However, this is just a workaround as thins do not work seamlessly. I am thinking of an optical cable.