Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

Cannot get Alexa skills to work with Home Speaker 300

I just purchased the home speaker 300 and the sound is great!  However, I cannot use most of my Alexa skills. I can play Sirius XM from the Bose Music app but if I ask Alexa to play it she says that the skill is not enabled which is untrue. I tried disabling and re-enabling it but it still didn’t work. Also I use Alexa to turn lights on and off in my house and to set my thermostat and these functions aren’t working either.  I don’t know if I will keep this item if the Alexa enabled functions don’t work. I might as well send it back and use my echo and wave radio.  Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?  If I cant get this solved it is going back.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Cannot get Alexa skills to work with Home Speaker 300

Hi Chemh0ser, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with Alexa on your HomeSpeaker 300. I'd be happy to assist you! 

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the sound quality of the speaker. 

In regards to Alexa, I would recommend disabling the skill > removing the speaker from the Alexa app > then searching for it within the Alexa app again. This should establish the connection to the speaker again and hopefully get your skills working. 

Please bear in mind that there are some skills that are unavailable in the integration with the Homespeaker. There is currently a Feature request in place for some of these features and the Community will be updated if these features become implemented. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

Jessie, 

I tried all you suggested several times and it doesn't work.  Now I can't even get the Alexa app to discover the speaker.

Highlighted

Hi Chemh0ser, 

Thanks for coming back to me!

I would recommend removing Alexa from the Bose Music App and then searching for it again in the Alexa Application. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Kindest,

Jessie O 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

Still not working.  Is there a way to keep the speaker from going into standyby mode.  That way I can hook up my Echo Dot with an audio cable to the AUX port and use the echo for Alexa and still have the speaker providing audio until fixes are made.  Right now after 20 mins the speaker shuts off and if i talk to alexa there is no sound.

Highlighted

Hi Chemh0ser, 

Thank you for coming back to me!

When the speaker is in standby, you will be able to wake the speaker up by talking to Alexa.

It sounds like there has been an issue in your set up. I would recommend removing the speaker from the app. I would then factory reset the system and set up from scratch. I have included the LINK HERE to assist you. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

It showed up initially on the app, and the skills still werent working, then it went away again.  Also, I won't be able to wake up the speaker because I will be using my echo dot for Alexa not the speaker because I can't get Alexa to work.  I will be puting the echo dot into the AUX input.  Oh well, I guess this speaker is getting returned, it's a shame, it sounds great.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @Chemh0ser,

We've sent you a private message and look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2019

So I waited until after June 20th for the firmware update and it never installed.  I tried the manual update but I get an error everytime.  What do I have to do to get this piece of junk to work?!