Highlighted
Andrew Ng
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 13, 2019

Custom streaming URL for preset on Home Speaker 500

Hi,

I quickly switched my purchase from Soundtouch 20 to Home Speaker 500 as its sound quality is much better, arrived today and set up to work properly. However I only just realised that this feature is not available on this product and only Airplay 2 is coming soon, I just wonder if this speaker would support this feature (customer streaming URL) too.

On another note, I was disappointed that this product does support my own media streaming services (PnP, DLNA, etc.) and I just wonder if this key feature would be added in the future. For now I could only listen to Tunein stations and using AUX to listen to output from smart phone, a smart device but not really that smart after all.

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Re: Custom streaming URL for preset on Home Speaker 500

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting on the Community!

The customer URL streaming feature is currently only for the SoundTouch product lines and the use of personal music libraries outside of Bluetooth is not something that is supported as of yet.  I'll be sure to forward this to our development team to see if this can be added to a future update.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

DanEllisUK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

I think Custom URLs for MP3 streams is a very important use case which should be addressed, along with the ability to play files from a local network such as a NAS drive.  I feel it is important for there to be some kind of backup in case there is a major failure with the Bose cloud infrastucture (a possibility if Bose have a major change in direction, or were to go bankrupt).

I still feel like we are very early adopters on this product line and have high hopes that Bose will bring these developments along.

Andrew Ng
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 13, 2019

Hi Tony,

The Home Speaker 500 is just a bit more expensive and I thought it would present itself as a much better product based on the review I have seen, not knowing that it is falling so short in terms of features/functionalities when compared to SoundTouch product range, I really appreciate if future upgrade would support personal media library (over WiFi) and custom streaming URL for preset so that it could work much more independently without using smart phone/pad to do the casting via bluetooth/AUX, by itself it is kind of just an Internet Radio.

Also I was a bit disappointed that it does not work for Spotify if I only have a free account! That is never stated clearly in the product features and I am not prepared to pay for monthly subscriptions to any of these media services. In this situation, even a Google Home Mini is streaming music much better (and free) than this speaker in this perspective. Not sure if this is a commercial arrangement between Bose and Spotify, just have no idea why this product cannot connect to Spotify account with no subscriptions while this works fine on smartphone/pad and Google Home Mini.

Really appreciate if Bose could bring this product to match up the features from SoundTouch series and product like Google Home Mini. In the meantime, this product is just an Internet radio and sitting next to my tablet with an AUX connection and acts just like any other "dumb" speakers. Not really seeing how "smart" it is apart from having Alexa.

Best regards

Hello Andrew,

We truly appreciate all of your feedback.

All of this has been passed over to development.

We're excited to see what the future brings.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support