Balutvm
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

Display screen on Bose 500 speaker goes blank

I own BOSE 500 Home Speaker. During playback screen suddenly turns off but music is heard. To turn on the screen all I need is to go to BOSE App and turn the speaker to standby mode and turn on the speaker again.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager

Re: Display screen on Bose 500 speaker goes blank

Hi Balutvm,

Thanks for posting on the Community!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be happy to help!

• Has this been an issue since owning the system or did something change like an update?
  • Have you been able to reboot the system by disconnecting  power for 30 seconds?
  • If this doesn't work, let's try a factory default by holding down the Aux and Vol - button for about 10 seconds.

Let us know how it goes!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Octavian6
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

I'm having the same problem. Already frustrated with newly bought device.

Hi Octavian6,

Thank you for the post, and I'm sorry about the issues you're having.

Can you attempt the steps above?  

As well, which source does this happen on?

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Clam2034
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

My 2 day old 500 has exactly this problem. To be more precise, the screen turns off when the last song of an album on Spotify is finished. A new selection will not turn on the screen. The only way to get the screen back is to put the Bose app to standby mode and then off standby again. Seems the end of an album in Spotify sends a code to blank off the screen. Hope a software update can resolve this issue.

Hello Clam2034, 

Thank you for getting in touch! Sorry to hear you are having an issue and I will be happy to help!

I just want to clarify if you have tried the steps that Tony_A has provided above: 

• Has this been an issue since owning the system or did something change like an update?
  • Have you been able to reboot the system by disconnecting  power for 30 seconds?
  • If this doesn't work, let's try a factory default by holding down the Aux and Vol - button for about 10 seconds.

If you could try these steps and if it doesn't work then please do get back in touch. 

Warm regards 
Liam - Community Support

Clam2034
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

Hi Liam.
I have tried resetting and all the actions suggested.
The problem remains. My unit was bought new on Feb 23, 2019 and came setup with firmware 2.1.9.
Let me be more specific to help your software people. This blank screen happens only when the last song from an album from Spotify is played. The screen cannot come back on unless I put the speaker on standby off and standby on again. The problem does not happen if I play a playlist. With a playlist the screen changes normally as the song selection change. Hope this helps to narrow down the problem. Thanks.

Hey Clam2034 

Thank you for getting back in touch, I am sorry to hear that previous recommendations have not worked. 
If you could try removing and re-adding the Spotify Music service to see if this will resolve the issue

Do to this, please follow these steps: 

- In the Bose Music app, tap the My Bose icon (Headphone/speaker symbol) in the upper-left
-Tap the My Account Icon (Person symbol in the circle) in the upper-right
-Tap "Manage Music Service"
-Select the music service to remove 
-Tap Remove Account and confirm your choice

To add Music service just go back into the Manage Music Service option in the Account section.
Select Spotify and follow the steps. 

Then retest with spotify and see if the screen will change when you select a new album. 

If there are any issues then please get in touch again and we can further assist you!

Liam - Community Support

Clam2034
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2019

Hi Liam.  

‘Thanks for your suggestion but they did not work.  I must say that everything works fine when playing Spotify within the songs list or playlist.  The screen will correctly show the details of the song being played and will change with each song even from another different  album.  Only when an album is selected, (and this action is possible only with the Spotify App and NOT the Bose App) at the end of the last song in the selected album , the screen will turn black and not come on again.  But the audio continues fine.  This problem happens only with the Spotify App because the Bose app does not allow albums to be selected.