tippex
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Feature request - Ability for manual updates

Moving from the soundtouch app to the new Bose Music ecosystem, I am finding most things to be a great improvement.  One thing that would however be good would be the ability to be able to choose whether to take a firmware update or not.  Seeing issues from other people here, I am concerned that a firmware update that I have no option to take could potentially interfere with my device for however long it takes to get a patch out.  This would be especially annoying if the updates were ones that I didn't need / want.

I understand that security could be a concern here, so would fully understand if there was an exception to push important security patches.  Is this something that Bose are likely to consider?  The ability to choose saved me a few times on my old Soundtouch system where I could look in the forums first to see other people's experiences.

2 REPLIES 2
DanEllisUK
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

Re: Feature request - Ability for manual updates

This is a very good point because some companies have been known to push out automatic updates which degrade performance in some way.  Someone skeptical might say a company would do this trigger upgrade sales!  Obviously I doubt Bose would ever do this. But if the ability exists and the customer has no power to prevent it, then abuse of that position can be very appealing for a short term profit gain.

Even without deliberate malice, a bad update could leave us stuck waiting for a fix.   I think we have the ability to rollback to an older firmware using the USB method (but I've not tried this, and I'm not sure if it allows old versions to be installed).   But even then, this is pointless if the system automatically updates again.  So I agree wholeheartedly that we should be able to disable automatic updates.

Bose.  Please can you confirm if devices will accept an older firmware via the USB installation method? Thanks.

Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Feature request - Ability for manual updates

Hi tippex and DanEllisUK,

Thanks for writing in!  

I did get a bit more clarification on how the update process works with the new Smart Home speakers as it is a different process than with the SoundTouch line.  

The Bose Smart Home speakers check for updates every 24 hours around 10 AM local time.  If an update is available, it will start the update process automatically between the hours of 2 AM and 5 AM local time.  If the system is in use at the time, the system will hold off on the update until the next cycle the following day.  If for any reason you missed the first round of updates and don't want to wait until the next cycle, factory defaulting the system and re-adding to the network should trigger the update as well.

I do have a feature request in for manual updates through the Bose Music app and hopefully this can get implemented with a future update.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support