Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Home Speaker 300 and Airplay on macOS Catalina

I have a Bose Home Speaker 300 that works with AirPlay on my iOS devices, but does not work on my macOS Catalina 10.15.6 device (Macbook Pro w/Retina mid-2014).

• Macbook and Bose are on the same network
  • Network is set to "Home" on Macbook Pro
  • Sharing is turned on for Music
  • macOS software is up-to-date
  • Bose software is up-to-date
  • Home Speaker is setup in Home Kit

If I try to choose the Bose as an AirPlay speaker on my Macbook Pro, I get the message:

"The AirPlay device “Bose” cannot be selected for audio output. Please verify your network settings and AirPlay configuration or select another device."

No other audio devices are connected to my Macbook Pro.

If I try to choose the Bose as a Bluetooth speaker, it connects, but the sound constantly cuts out. Other Bluetooth speakers (including other Bose devices) connect and play with no problems from the Macbook Pro.

On ALL of my iOS devices, I have no problems with this speaker, it plays and sounds great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Re: Home Speaker 300 and Airplay on macOS Catalina

Author Accepted Answer selected by mlroarty58

Finally a solution.  This past weekend I decided to reset my Macbook Pro to factory settings and reinstall the macOS.  Because of a technical issue with the first attempt to reinstall macOS Catalina, I was forced to install the original operating system OSx Mavericks and then upgrade to Catalina.  The reset of my Macbook cleared up quite a few issues, including that I can now connect to my Home Speaker 300 via the Thunderbolt LAN adapter.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tegan_M

Hi mlroarty58,

Very sorry to hear that you are having a bad time with connecting your Macbook Pro to your Home Speaker 300 via Airplay. 

Have you ever had a successful connection to your speaker via Airplay with your MacBook to your speaker? Can you also AirPlay out audio to other devices on your Mac to other speaker devices for example?

Have you tried rebooting your computer to see if this shows any improvements?

Do let us know, we'd love to help. 😊

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Thanks for the reply.

• I just purchased the speaker, so no, it has never connected to this speaker via AirPlay.
  • I don't have any other "audio-only" airplay devices, but I am able to use AirPlay to connect my Macbook to my Apple TV devices
  • I have rebooted numerous times; I have created a test user profile on the Macbook and that new profile also cannot connect to the speaker.
  • I can use AirPlay (not Bluetooth) to connect my iOS devices to the speaker.

mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Tegan_M - so is there no additional help?  Can I get warranty replacement of this speaker (I don't seem to have an option for Bose warranty support on the Bose site; unit is less than 1 month old)?

Jeff_G

Hi mlroarty58, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Is the MacBook Pro connected to the Same WiFi network as your Soundbar? You ideally want all devices on the same network for direct communication. 

Another thing I would recommend checking is if your network has it's 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands combined. Please see this link for recommended settings for your router.

If the problem persists and only occurs with the Mac, I would also encourage you to speak with Apple. It's unlikely to be a fault with the soundbar if it's only one device that appears to be affected. 

I'll look forward to your reply.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

It appears that the issue occurs when connected to the ethernet connection through the Thunderbolt Bridge on the Macbook. If I switch to an ethernet connection through a USB adapter the Airplay connection works. This seems to be an issue with the speaker or the speaker drivers/software as all other Airplay devices I have do not have a problem connection through the Thunderbolt Bridge ethernet connection.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for the update mlroarty!

It is interesting that this only happened when using the Thunderbolt Bridge for your ethernet connection. Could you let me know what adapter you have been using for the ethernet connection to your MacBook?

Did you manage to set your router to the recommended router settings that @Jeff_G linked above? If not I would still recommend doing this as it is highly likely that one of these settings could be stopping the speaker and MacBook communicating correctly when you are using the Thunderbolt connection.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by mlroarty58

Finally a solution.  This past weekend I decided to reset my Macbook Pro to factory settings and reinstall the macOS.  Because of a technical issue with the first attempt to reinstall macOS Catalina, I was forced to install the original operating system OSx Mavericks and then upgrade to Catalina.  The reset of my Macbook cleared up quite a few issues, including that I can now connect to my Home Speaker 300 via the Thunderbolt LAN adapter.  

View solution in original post

mlroarty58
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

The USB adapter is one that came with my wife's Surface laptop "Microsoft Model 1663" USB LAN adapter.  The Thunderbolt LAN adapter is the Apple branded adapter.