Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pricey1989
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Home speaker 500 not displaying on app when sound bar 700 is on

Hi guys,

I am new on here, so please bare with me.

i am having issues with the home speaker 500 not being available over the WiFi network, as well not displaying on the Bose music app, when trying to play music through various music apps (Apple Music, amazon music, Spotify) when the sound bar 700 is on standby.

but

the speaker will still play radio stations and react to instructions giving to Alexa. Suggesting that the speaker is connected to the WiFi. 

Now when I turn the sound bar 700 off at the plug, the home speaker 500 will then display on the all the apps mentioned above, and play over airplay.

this has been happening for sometimes now. I have contacted Bose on numerous occasions and they said to return the home speaker, which I never got around to. My bad.

thanks for reading and helping.

stay safe, be seeing you 👌

11 REPLIES 11
Sam_F

Re: Home speaker 500 not displaying on app when sound bar 700 is on

Hi @Pricey1989,

That is certainly quite a weird problem you're running into there!

Do you have both systems plugged into the same power strip?

Also, have you tried rebooting your router? Simply unplug it from power, leave for two minutes and then reconnect. You may notice both systems appear available on the app?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Pricey1989
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Hi thanks for the reply,

ive done this a few times. And doesn’t seem to work.  They are on different electrical rings. 

the only way it works is by turning off the soundbar. Yesterday after playing music all day through the group (home speaker and soundbar) And messing around to get it work

it turns out, when I put the microwave on (home speaker is in the kitchen) the home speaker would stop playing music and soundbar continued, when microwave stops the home speaker would continue, they are on the same circuit but a few meters apart. 

thanks Sam 

Pricey1989
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Hi Sam F

i thought I’d give you an update. 

yesterday the speaker was playing up again, it wasn’t displaying in the app again. So I turned off the speaker, moved it to a different plug and again after around 15 minutes stopped.  

I factory reset the speaker, and started again

I moved the speaker again, this time onto a different electrical circuit. Again it stopped after around 15 minutes. I don’t know what the issue is, but if I am listening to the radio it is perfect, also through bluetooth is it perfect. 

Some further background to this, this is my second iPhone since I have owned the speaker, I have changed broadband provider so the router has changed  from a sky router to a talktalk router. I’d say these potential issues are ruled out.

I honestly cannot not think of any reason why this keeps happening unless it is a hardware fault

thanks

Ryan

Hector_B

Thanks for updating us on this Ryan! 

Sorry to read that the same issue still persists. We appreciate all the troubleshooting you have attempted so far and the detail you have described this in too us. 

Let's also look into performing a manual update on the Home Speaker 500 by following these steps listed here.

We look forward to hearing back from you with the result of this update.  

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Pricey1989
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

hi

I have done what the link says, but I cannot get access to the speaker using the address provided. 

I have tried safari and chrome, but of them time out. 

thanks

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Pricey1989,

Thank you for trying that and letting us know! I'm sorry to hear you have been unable to force this update.

At this point, given the troubleshooting, you have been trying so far and how you have described this, my thought would be that this is related to your network. Especially how you've mentioned the microwave causing the speaker to cut out as that part of the issue is definitely related to wireless interference.

If you feel comfortable enough to look into your network settings yourself, I will place our recommended settings below. If you would like a hand going through this, you can reach out to your local support team HERE and they will be able to go through this with you. Just click on the link and scroll to Contact Us.

Do let us know how you get on!

Recommended router settings.
UPnP - Enable
Multicast - Enable
IGMP - Enable
Wireless Isolation - Disable
IGMP Proxy - Disable
Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N
Stealth mode - Disable
MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list
WPS - Disable
Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.
Security type – WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption.
WMM – Disable.

Pricey1989
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Hi Keith,

had a look at the settings all of ones I could find were set as the details u provided me. 

my concern is, the soundbar 700 is always available on the app, which leads me to believe it’s not a network issue.

thanks

Andy_B
Community Manager

@Pricey1989 - Thanks for having a look. I've read through the thread, but want to clarify a key point - what do you mean by the speaker not displaying on the app? Does the speaker show as "Unavailable", or does it visually not appear all together? Can you provide images for this? Additionally, do you have any other devices, like an alternative phone/tablet in the house, that you can use to compare results?

Pricey1989
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Hi

it shows on the app as home speaker 500, but shows as unavailable. 

i don’t know how to add a screenshot on here. But where you choose which speaker you would like to play from (it says ‘My Bose’ at the top of the screen) the speaker is displayed as unavailable. If I click on it, it then displays a pop that says connection help.

I have tried my iPad and MacBook as well. Both of them cannot connect. 

My phone only works by turning speaker off and back on.

as I have said previously it will play Bluetooth and radio without any problems

thanks