Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

***Moved from New Product Announcement Post***

I have to be honest, I am shocked these new products are not integrated into the SoundTouch line and are not compatible and I honestly beleive this will work out quite badly for Bose unless they find a way to integrate the two, before it;s too late. 

1) Customers are easily going to get confused between the options of Smart Home line and SoundTouch line, not everyone is going to want to do the research. It's going to result in some customers buying say a SoundTouch 10 and then a Soundbar 500 say, and finding quickly they don't work together - unlke an older Sonos Play:1 and Sonos Beam that ARE compatible. Honestly, why should customers want or need to compare two product lines from the same company? It is just not good business sense at all. Sonos is a low friction purchase, as was Bose until this new product line came along. 

2) Sonos has supported backward compatability with older products for many, many years. I still have the very first Sonos connect's that work pefectly with all the newer Sonos products. This results in a the customer feeling like they had made a good investment. As an owner of SoundTouch products, several 10's and 20's the new line-up and 'new' app worry me that they will be sidelined and the new Smart Home products will be the future focus. The two should be integrated for sure, and both lines can then continue on as one integrated system. Sure, it's good to introduce new hardware but making it a whole new product line is a bad idea in my opinion. 

Here is the thing. I actually really like the SoundTouch 10 and 20 and I was looking to expand with more SoundTouch devices around the home (I am hoping Apple Music and AirPlay eventually come). I'm not terribly interested in Alexa control and I'm not hugely keen on the new Home Speaker 500 design. I also expanded my Sonos connects with a pair of Sonos Ones for one of the rooms. This is where it hurts - I feel now that Bose has sidelined the SoundTouch in favour of a product I'm not really keen on, only suits a certain customer and isn't in any way integrated into the existing SoundTouch platform. If, just if, I had have gone all-out on Sonos then I wouldn't be feeling this frustation. I currently have 4 SoundTouch 10's and 2 ST20s but I am honestly concerned what the future holds for these products. 

While I sppreciate Bose has come out and said it's SoundTouch line will continue to receive some updates to the app, I just think the whole thing is rather confustion both from a business decision and customer standpoint. Why build two apps? Why complicate your product line-up? It doesn't make sense. 

This whole critisim, which I honestly think will be seconded by many custoimers, can be solved in one simple decision - integrate the two lines before it's too late. If you think that technical challanges prevent this from happening, then you need to hire software engineers that can make it work.

Sorry to be a little underhwlmed on this occasion. I hope that this prompts some further discussion within Bose about this decision, so it can be mitigated and ensure all 'new' and existing custoemrs are satisfied. 

Many thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

Re: Product Announcement: Bose Smart Speakers

So given what you have just said Joel, does that mean SoundTouch will likely not see new additions to music services and it’s app? 

Im not bothered about voice control, but the music services support is important along with missing features such as track scrubbing. 

I am am not sure why it was impossible to just have different firmware for the different lines but still have the same app ecosystem to be fair, would save a lot of customers that are now going to be a bit disappointed that soundtouch essentially has become a legacy. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi @g25,

We do plan to both continue supporting the SoundTouch application and compatible products in the future, including updates. As for what the details contain, we don't have this information at this time, but we'll let the community know. 

Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 24, 2018

@Joel_D Here is a suggestion that maybe you can speak with the development teams about. Why in theory, couldn't you have one app ecosystem but run different firmware on the two product lines that has 'some' shared functionality such as multi-room. This way SoundTouch gets some of the app improvements and latest features but the Smart product-line gets all the voice/processing features. I mean the app obviously only uses an API to speak with the speakers so it's not super difficult to engineer an app that can talk to both products at the same time and only light-up the smart features for the smart products. 

This way SoundTouch can continue for customers that want the classic design without voice and smart and also benefit from the latest app experience but the new product line can also co-exist. It might only be me but I prefer the design language used on the SoundTouch products to be fair and I'm not really bothered about voice. 

I really think the backlash would be much resolved if the app experience was merged and you found a technical solution within the app to support both products. I just can't see this being too difficult, as you could just light-up the smart features in the app for the individual smart speakers and 'hide' them on the SoundTouch. Other companies do this all the time so I honestly think with the right engineering it's possible to do.

I for one would be happy if the app experience was just updated to support things like Apple Music and track scrubbing along with an improved searcj and just for you'favouraties/pinned page'.  I suspect you'll be adding those to the new Bose Music app, so it'd make total sense to make SoundTouch work with the same app and just have the app be able to show/hide featuress depending on what speaker is connected. 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi g25,

I appreciate your feedback and will pass this along to development.

Warm Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

@ g25:
Thank you! Best comment I have seen so far.

Bose needs more and better software engineers!
Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Thanks @Joel_D. If you engineers are able to do what @g25 is explaining I think we will all be happy. Please try to move fast in at least making a statetment that this will be the direction. Otherwise we will need to move. I went to the Bose store and the representative told me that Bose will work a solution to integrate the lines. I think that is not the official statement but that statement is what is making me wait before deciding what I’m going to do with my audio products.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello lcdopizarro,

I can completely understand what people are looking for. 

I do apologize about the misinformation that you received from the Bose store about the 2 product line being compatible. There have not been any updates on compatibility due to different software and hardware on the 2 different product series.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support