Billmoffettjr
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2019

Need to take my 700SB to a restaurant for party

I just recently bought the Bose 700 sound bar and sub woofer to go with it. I have it connected at my home through the app on my homes Wi-Fi. I’m having a work Christmas party this weekend and I want to take this system with me to the restaurant. I want to connect it with a wire to my macbook. I don’t want to rely on Bluetooth and I won’t have a Wi-Fi signal. Can I do this with a wire and use the speakers as my MacBook speakers? If so how? Also if I can do this is there anyway to stop the sound bar from searching for a Wi-Fi signal and interrupting the music?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_F

Re: Need to take my 700SB to a restaurant for party

Author Accepted Answer selected by Billmoffettjr

Hi @Billmoffetjr,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

In regards to your query, I do not think this will be possible to do. The reason for this purely is down to the design of the Soundbar and it's recommended use. You'll notice the soundbar has connections for HDMI and optical cable (to be used in a TV system) - with Bluetooth being the other source of connection for audio playback. 

The soundbar doesn't have a designated AUX port to allow you to hook an auxilliary cable from the soundbar to the MacBook. Possibly (this would not be recommended) you could try to find a third-party converter to take the optical audio into auxiliary, to allow you that wired connection. However, I cannot guarantee it will perform as expected. You may have to set the source to the TV so that the soundbar is not searching for WiFi.

But, other than that, I'd recommend using Bluetooth for connecting to a Macbook if possible. If this is not able to be done, you may not be able to make a wired connection directly from the soundbar to your Macbook. 

Please let me know if you have any further queries/questions.

Warm regards,

Sam F - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sam_F

Author Accepted Answer selected by Billmoffettjr

Hi @Billmoffetjr,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

In regards to your query, I do not think this will be possible to do. The reason for this purely is down to the design of the Soundbar and it's recommended use. You'll notice the soundbar has connections for HDMI and optical cable (to be used in a TV system) - with Bluetooth being the other source of connection for audio playback. 

The soundbar doesn't have a designated AUX port to allow you to hook an auxilliary cable from the soundbar to the MacBook. Possibly (this would not be recommended) you could try to find a third-party converter to take the optical audio into auxiliary, to allow you that wired connection. However, I cannot guarantee it will perform as expected. You may have to set the source to the TV so that the soundbar is not searching for WiFi.

But, other than that, I'd recommend using Bluetooth for connecting to a Macbook if possible. If this is not able to be done, you may not be able to make a wired connection directly from the soundbar to your Macbook. 

Please let me know if you have any further queries/questions.

Warm regards,

Sam F - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Billmoffettjr
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2019

I don’t know how I clicked on except this as a solution. I meant to hit reply. So I hope you get this.

OK so if I go with a Bluetooth connection instead of a wired one can I take this sound bar to the restaurant with me even though I won’t have Wi-Fi? If I do that will it pause to look for a Wi-Fi connection since it is not connected to Wi-Fi?

Or maybe a better question would be how do I take this system with me to the restaurant and play it without it causing to look for a Wi-Fi connection? I can bring my computer or just my cell phone and run it through Bluetooth if necessary. I’m more concerned about it not working unless it is connected to Wi-Fi.

Tegan_M

Hi Billmoffettjr, 

In order to start a Bluetooth connection this does require the Bose Universal Remote or the Bose Music app which is connected to your Soundbar via a WiFi connection. I apologize for any disappointment this causes. 

I would recommend that you look into third party adaptors like Sam has previously suggested, however we cannot guarantee these will provide you with success. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!